Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: Rok sold, now in a ranger

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rok sold, now in a ranger

so i sold my 2012 highline, 6 sp, and got myself an xlt ranger atuo.

ive only put 2000kms on the ranger andf still cant spit the 2 cars.

the ranger is more comfortable to drive for me (6'2)
    the amarok is better on fuel (about 200kms per tank on the highway, although this my change as teh ford wears in)
    the amarok cab and tub are bigger
    the fords sync 2 is brilliant.
    the ford would smoke the vw off the lights

im still yet to work out the ranger tricks, such as holding down the unlock button to open all windows as in the vw...

all in all im happy with the new car, but i still cant tell you which one i prefer...

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rey,

My boss has a PX Wildtrak manual and loves it. I personally feel that the suspension isn't up to the same standard as the Rok, but he has put Koni shocks in now, so that may now be a different story. Other than that, the only other thing I could pick was just the feel of the doors. Really hard to explain, but they felt sort of light but heavy? As in, they are supported quite well making them feel light, but when you go to actually shut them, they are quite heavy.. As I said, hard to explain.

I am quite curious how the Auto version of the ranger goes. I know that they have similar electrickery for down hill descent etc, so I am curious to hear how you feel it does going down hills in low range.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the ranger and rok as my two top choices, in the end it came down to the 5 yr unlimited k warranty with VW and, believe it or not, my experience with their respective dealer networks. The Ford dealerships actually managed to eclipse the VW dealerships when it came to incompetence.
    The Ford seemed like a good truck tho', I'd have been happy with either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i found that the vw felt like it was made of al foil..... the smallest tap anmd it would leave a dent.

ive found both dealers tp be borderline riding the small bus to work.

havent had itin low range as yet, but i feel the auto is awesome on the street, smooth gear changes, shifts down when going down hill and slightly on the brakes.

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me a vehicle these days that doesn't feel like it's made from alfoil.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah thats true.... it just seemed that everytime someone touched my rok it dented.

time will tell on the ford

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    yeah thats true.... it just seemed that everytime someone touched my rok it dented.

time will tell on the ford

There's a thread running on Rok haters 😏

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just done the same myself. Just traded in my single cab amarok although it is on a second hand 2014 PX XL ranger dual cab 3.2L 4x4 manual. Pick it up in the next couple of days. Was split between the ranger and another amarok but needed a tray back and preferably one with a bullbar and be under 34k drive away and this ranger was the first good one to pop up. Also having a baby, the amarok not having rear airbags was a massive turnoff for them but it was not going to be a deciding thing.

Will see how it go. Had no trouble with the Amarok and am sad to see it go, just needed to get into a dual cab. Going to miss the huge amount of firewood I could get on the back of the single tray.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting you say about the auto ranger being faster than the manual amarok, I felt the same until I drove the auto amarok and I raced a mate in his wildtrak and smashed him, I brought the auto amarok after that.
    Nick Lawson
    Amarok Fan!!

http://www.kiwivoip.co.nz

Mentioned
    838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2.0 auto Amarok can beat the 3.2 auto Ranger any day of the week when both stock.

Supporting Member
    living the dream, at the beach or in the pool! Caves NSW.
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    The 2.0 auto Amarok can beat the 3.2 auto Ranger any day of the week when both stock.
    Here's the video.
    https://youtu.be/0J0KcLrOjzk

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    Possibly the 2 extra cogs?
    Cheers. Mark. TDI520 - thanks to Crisp

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was very close to buying a new ranger but couldn't quite get them to come to my price. It was very nice to drive but the amarok was slightly nicer. The amarok is a touch wider and has a slightly shorter wheelbase which I assume means the turning circle is a bit better. I figured the Core Amarok would be cheaper than the equivalent ranger ... but then I ended up paying $3k more for a Core plus so I was paying basically the same as the ranger price.
    The ranger costs a bit more on rego at least in qld due to it being lumped in the 6 cyl rego bracket.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amarok definitely has a better Turing circle.

Supporting Member
    living the dream, at the beach or in the pool! Caves NSW.
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope you enjoy your new car. I think the Ranger has a nice look to it, and if it had had a full time 4wd system it would have been in contention, but I've never really been a Ford man. Mainly due to the horror stories my late father used to tell me about when he was in the trade. He was middle management for a few Ford dealers in Scotland, back in the day!
    Things have changed now, we are led to believe. But look at all the various scandals emissions, airbags etc.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotRok View Post
    I hope you enjoy your new car. I think the Ranger has a nice look to it, and if it had had a full time 4wd system it would have been in contention, but I've never really been a Ford man. Mainly due to the horror stories my late father used to tell me about when he was in the trade. He was middle management for a few Ford dealers in Scotland, back in the day!
    Things have changed now, we are led to believe. But look at all the various scandals emissions, airbags etc.
    The ford warranty/service/dealership experience is still terrible, even worse than VW, which is bad in itself.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you show us some photos @Rey?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have smoked many a Ranger/BT-50, Nissan etc off the line, even when the first few metres had me back due to lag. The speed at which the gearbox changes gets them everytime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think the 2L beats them wait till your drive the V6. I have the rok V6 and my brother has a new Ranger he even wish he got a V6 rok and it better in every way. We both tow 2.5t van and the rok does it so much easier than the Ranger. One thing that the Ranger is better at is engine braking.

Thread Information