User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tyres to suit standard rims

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    It did splash mud all down the side and it was not particularly wet on the drive today
    So booked in for the Trail Grapplers today http://nittotyre.com.au/tyres/4x4-ty...l-grappler-mt/ and out of stock for 3 to 4 weeks......

The Terra's are still available but the Trails have the 3ply sidewall, G2's not available in 16".

See what happens when you sit on the fence, need these on in two weeks...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also looking to change my tyres from the original HT tyres on 17" Aldos, without changing my rims. We have done 21,000km in about 6 months on the originals. They look to have at least another 20,000 or more on them, and these have spent a lot of their time on dirt, gravel and rocky roads, including crossing the Simpson Desert. I want to gain the maximum 50mm allowable increase in diameter with the new tyres. There appears to be many people on this forum looking at this, and many are looking at 265/70R17 tyres. I will definitely ask the dealer to put one on and have a look at how well it fits, because I like the idea of fitting some "fatties". Alternatively, we could go for a 245/75R17. This gives us effectively the same increase in diameter, with reduced risk of fouling the tyre on the vehicle suspension. At this stage, the 2 tyres I lean towards most are Bridgestones AT697, and the new Toyo ATII. I've had very good experience with both these brands previously, so am just a little biased. The Toyo looks to be a bit more aggressive than most all terrains, so might be better when the track turns to ...., well you all know what tracks can be. Another advantage for the Toyo is that it IS available in 245/75R17! This should fit on the Aldo rim with minimal risk of fouling the suspension or inside the guard. It may also be slightly more fuel efficient than the wider tyres, being no wider than the original tyres.
    Has anyone else tried these tyres? I would like to know how Amaroks went with 265/70R17 on Aldo rims. I also want to know if anyone has tried the 245/75R17 Toyos.

Stu, Trendline 2015 auto special with Aldo wheels etc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @stu9 I am interested to know too! Please keep us posted with what you find out. Cheers!

MY15 Reflex Silver Highline - stock for now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have decided to put an OME suspension kit upgrade on my highline. I also decided to change the tyres to 265 65 r17 but I keep thinking of going bigger. If I did change the tyres to 265 70 r17 do you think it would rub or would it have enough clearance. I just want the bigger tyres to give me a bit more lift. Has anyone done this and does anyone have photos of it?

Cheers

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beachrok View Post
    @stu9 I am interested to know too! Please keep us posted with what you find out. Cheers!

The dealer put a 265/70R17 Toyo Open Country ATII onto my front right Aldo rim. We found there to be only enough clearance to the bolt in the upper control arm to place the tip of my little finger. Felt like less than 1cm. Too close for my liking, as I expect the top of the tyre will flex with the bottom of the tyre, especially with lower pressures and on uneven ground. I am going for the 245/75R17 Toyo ATII. This should give another 1cm lateral clearance to the tyre from the bolt. I suspect by keeping to the 245 width, there may be fuel economy benefits compared to the 265. It may also bag more easily than the wider tyre, without lowering the pressures quite as much. The tyres are due to go on tomorrow.

This bolt on the suspension does not change its position with suspension changes. It is at the top of the arm behind the wheel, that is directly connected to the hub assembly. Same goes for the upper wishbone/control arm what ever it is called. The only way to gain further clearance from these items is to change the offset of the wheels.
    Last edited by stu9; 10th March 2016 at 08:28. Reason: Additional info

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @stu9 should be good for ground clearance as well. Throw some pics up when they're fitted- I reckon bigger tyres make the rock look better!

Posting Freak
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stu9 View Post
    The dealer put a 265/70R17 Toyo Open Country ATII onto my front right Aldo rim. We found there to be only enough clearance to the bolt in the upper control arm to place the tip of my little finger. Felt like less than 1cm. Too close for my liking, as I expect the top of the tyre will flex with the bottom of the tyre, especially with lower pressures and on uneven ground.
    Does anybody have any evidence of the top of the tyre flexing?
    The amount of flex, under what conditions?
    Academic papers on the subject perhaps?

I would like to learn more about this phenomenon. I have seen tyres on drag cars increasing in diameter due to under centrifugal force as the tyres spin up. But these are usually soft tyres and a large amount of rubber compared to rim diameter and width.

Brains trust?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving an old thread here;

I have a 2013 Trendline with Taruma rims, 16 x 6.5 i believe. Similar to the OP im keen to up the size of my rubber and clearance without the expense of rims. It seems im pretty limited in how big i can go though. 245/75/16, up from 245/70/16 seems to be the consensus from a couple of local tyre mobs, is this right? I have seen mention of 235/85/16, but again, similar to the OP how does this size go for replacement or is it an "odd" size?

Im pretty sure my previous vehicle had 265/75/16, i liked this size and seemed plenty big enough for what i need to do, the current set up and even the option of 245/75/16 seems tiny and i feel like ill be dragging the Amarok's belly everywhere, can anyone report otherwise with this size?
    I do a little bit of everything; Vic high country, sand, bush tracks, plenty of bitumen.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Slug
    I have run 265/ 70/ 16 Coopers on my Rok for over 3 years without any problems, aside from them touching the chassis rails on full lock, I recently replaced them and the old tyres showed no signs of damage from contacting the upper control arm ball joint. I have run them down to 15 psi in soft sand. I was a bit concerned initially about the lack of clearance but it seems my concern was unwarranted.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longtack View Post
    Hi Slug
    I have run 265/ 70/ 16 Coopers on my Rok for over 3 years without any problems, aside from them touching the chassis rails on full lock, I recently replaced them and the old tyres showed no signs of damage from contacting the upper control arm ball joint. I have run them down to 15 psi in soft sand. I was a bit concerned initially about the lack of clearance but it seems my concern was unwarranted.
    Hi @longtack,
    Is that with taruma rims?

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Taruma rims.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh awesome, just what i wanted to hear!

Thanks for that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought 265 65 R17s to replace 245 65 R17s on Aldo rims. Got four Nitto Terra Grappler ATs for $630 from Bob Jane. There is quite a lot of difference in the feel of the ride. It is softer but also more squirmy. And, the trip computer etc will now give different readings because the tyre size has changed. So think carefully before sizing up.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The change in diameter with 265/70/16 caused the speedo to go from reading about 6% fast to 2% fast.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtb View Post
    I bought 265 65 R17s to replace 245 65 R17s on Aldo rims. Got four Nitto Terra Grappler ATs for $630 from Bob Jane. There is quite a lot of difference in the feel of the ride. It is softer but also more squirmy. And, the trip computer etc will now give different readings because the tyre size has changed. So think carefully before sizing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by longtack View Post
    The change in diameter with 265/70/16 caused the speedo to go from reading about 6% fast to 2% fast.
    Yeah thanks guys, i went up a size in my previous vehicle also so knew there were some side effects, happy to have the speedo reading a little more accurately though!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    if you're looking for cost effective, also look at Westlake tyres... one of China's biggest tyre manufacturers - a mate has been running a set of AT's on his Territory (don't ask) for about 18 months, and reckons they're great...

I'll be looking at a Falken or Toyo AT myself, once the HT's have had it...
    I know this post is OLD AS, but Falkens, nooo! Just took them off the A8 i bought the missus and thank goodness. non grip super slips. I went for the Pirellie P Zeros and man alive, this car is on rails! I put the same on the Rok, love it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting close to needing new tyres. I have Taruma wheels with the standard Bridgestone Dueler HT tyres, 245/70 R16, which have just done just over 60k (the original steel wheeled tyres didn't last 35k). Most of my driving by far is on road and I have been more than happy with how quiet the Bridgestones have been, certainly better than my wife's Lancer. Most weekends involve a 400km round trip to our weekender so lack of road noise is important to me. Not so sure of their off road ability though based on what little I have done. 2013 single cab, manual. I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks

Thread Information