Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: V6 580 & 550 - What is the difference?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V6 580 & 550 - What is the difference?

Apart from a retune for increase in power, I've searched the net far and wide and cannot find out yet what VW has changed between these 2 engines.

One site states that the 580 weight is more by approx 22kgs, whilst another states the 580 has 'stronger pistons'. However there does not appear to be anything definitive at this point.

See that the torque cuts in quicker at lower revs and that the 580 now has adblue - this could be the weight increase.

Anyone out there have any more info on what physical changes have been made to the 580 engine versus the 550 to compensate for the increase in power?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be a small retune increase for that. I just DPF deleted and tuned my 550 and from the % increase of before and after runs, the motor torque figures would be around the 660Nm mark and approx 205kW. Not sure about the overboost though.

22kg for the adblue could be possible as there is a tank, the piping, injection system and the electronics to suit.
    MY14 Natural Grey Highline, sliders, intake pipe, 3" turbo back exhaust, stage 2 ECU tune, 25mm body lift
    WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited with loads of mods
    65 Mustang Coupe currently in pieces

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke to a dealer that visited the German factory as I asked that question.
    He told me that they have a new block with added titanium to cope with the heat the extra tune provides.
    You can tune any engine to give more power but keep an eye on your engine temps as constant overheating will cause the alloy block to let's say, start melting.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run an ultragauge with engine temp and mine sits between 92 and 95 all day long. Can't check EGT's anymore at the moment as the ultragauge was reading cat1b1s1 which is the temp sensor right at the dump pipe but is now not functioning because DPF function has been turned off. In theory I should be able to just remove that sensor and fit an aftermarket thermocouple and EGT gauge.
    MY14 Natural Grey Highline, sliders, intake pipe, 3" turbo back exhaust, stage 2 ECU tune, 25mm body lift
    WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited with loads of mods
    65 Mustang Coupe currently in pieces

Thread Information