User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos of Std V6 or Highline TDI420 with Net 4x4 Bilsteins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos of Std V6 or Highline TDI420 with Net 4x4 Bilsteins

I know there is another thread on this but it was for lifted utes, I'm looking to see what affect the 16mm raise spring seats have on the net4x4 shocks installed with standard springs.

Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why you'd go for that combination, what are you trying to achieve?
    @Net4x4 is the guy to really to...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Andrew

ACV - Sand Beige Highline

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Not sure why you'd go for that combination, what are you trying to achieve?
    @Net4x4 is the guy to really to...

Just trying to work out what looks best, I don't need a lift, but the forward rake on the V6 is ridiculous, but making the car flat is no good either as it stuffs with castor and the chassi rakes to down to the rear so some forward rake (about 30mm) is always required.

Prob just go with a 35mm lift front and 25mm block rear with Bilsteins.

Has any one got photos of that with standard 255/60/18 tyres, most people of lift put bigger tyres on so its hard to gauge the lift and look.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe even just people with stock utes with raised front? All the photos I can find have bullbars of larger tyres which makes it hard to know what will happen to a V6 given 90% of all the spings made are the same as the 4cyl which is 60kg lighter than the V6.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found heaps on wolf 4x4, just about pick any colour, model, setup so looks like I’m going OA front lift with rear shocks then some 30.5” or 31” AT later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OA is a compromise of you're on a budget, not really comparable to the @Net4x4 Billies

Cheers, Andrew

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is compromised?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sym0 View Post
    What is compromised?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They're a completely different product. The ride and handling is controlled ever so much better with the Bilsteins.

German product, engineered to Australian conditions (Bilstein), vs an improvement on stock (Outback Armour).

Plenty of guys have gone from stock to OA, then to Bilstein / H&R because the OA didn't live up to their expectations...

Cheers, Andrew

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're a completely different product. The ride and handling is controlled ever so much better with the Bilsteins.

German product, engineered to Australian conditions (Bilstein), vs an improvement on stock (Outback Armour).

Plenty of guys have gone from stock to OA, then to Bilstein / H&R because the OA didn't live up to their expectations...

So what should I expect from a suspension lift?

Is OA better than factory? Or worse?

Does it lift the car?

I can't see where it would not meet expectation. Are people expecting magic carpet ride, handling and lift all in one? I doubt the Billies could pull that off or every 4WD would be running them. I know they are good, but really by how much?

Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what should I expect from a suspension lift?

Is OA better than factory? Or worse?

Does it lift the car?

I can't see where it would not meet expectation. Are people expecting magic carpet ride, handling and lift all in one? I doubt the Billies could pull that off or every 4WD would be running them. I know they are good, but really by how much?
    if you're just after a lift, the OA's will give you a lift, and the ride will be an improvement on the factory suspension

As for magic carpet ride - my personal opinion is that the Billies are pretty damn close to it - I've never heard of anyone who's upgraded to a Bilstein suspension package and being unhappy with it on ANY 4WD. Remember that all suspension upgrades are vehicle specific too - you need to take into account the load you carry all day every day, as that impacts on the day to day driveability of the vehicle.
    Cheers, Andrew

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're just after a lift, the OA's will give you a lift, and the ride will be an improvement on the factory suspension

As for magic carpet ride - my personal opinion is that the Billies are pretty damn close to it - I've never heard of anyone who's upgraded to a Bilstein suspension package and being unhappy with it on ANY 4WD. Remember that all suspension upgrades are vehicle specific too - you need to take into account the load you carry all day every day, as that impacts on the day to day driveability of the vehicle.
    Thanks Drew,

That's what I was expecting, it's a case of diminishing returns.

If 100% is perfect (no such thing), the factory ride is 95%, the OA will be 98% and the Billies are 99% then they probably are not worth the extra cost for such a small gain (to me). Both are improvements, I think I will get more improvement for the dollar than what the Billies will offer. But I understand they are the best, but only a small amount better than OA in this case.

Once they are done i will report back honestly and let you know if they are what I expected, and where they are better or worse, and some pics!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have had the upgrade for over a week now and its excellent. Highly recommend the OA front lift and rear shocks. I also got some 31" ATR tires to complete the look. Car looks more natural now, mostly level with about 20mm forward rake, perfect.

Front centre to arch both sides is 555mm this is up from 510 and 515 before (rear is still 585). I went with Expedition front springs as the V6 is 100kg more weight to hold over the 4cyl and the ride height confirms this (still under 560).

Ride is about the same as before, but the shock control has eliminated the second event on big pumps now. I suppose this gives the impression of a harsher ride but its not, the bump is the same, the rebound is just abrupt because it doesn't oscillate like the factory shock which has ZERO rebound. It also took the slappy ride out the rear, which now feels like sporty coils rather than factory leafs.

Handling is also much improved, with no dive under brakes and flat cornering, and the neutral front and rear balance is still there.

If anything the only negative is the traction control cuts the power when the front wheels slip now in the dry as there is much less pitch front to rear on full bore take offs. But turning off ASR ahead of time resolves this as there is still more than enough mechanical grip (even in the wet).

For $1300 fitted you couldn't even supply the Bilstein/H&R parts for that let alone fit them, saved about $1000.
    Last edited by Sym0; 10th August 2018 at 14:32.

Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be interested to see how you're going in 6 months...

Been a few warranty issues of recent times with Outback Armour, and them not being honoured.

End of the day though, it's your car, and if you're happy that's the main thing [emoji106]

Cheers, Andrew

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car looks more natural now, mostly level with about 20mm forward rake, perfect.
    Hi @Sym0 is there any chance you could post some pic's of the car now that you have the new front springs fitted (I think I will be going the billies, but interested to read your feedback), I agree with you the rake from the front to the rear on the V6 is too much and looks wrong to me, I also find the front set up to soft under brakes for the mostly sealed roads driving we do....

thanks 4paw
    2013 4x4 single cab Amarok

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem

Tyres are slightly bigger 265/60

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also theoretically you need 300kg in the tray flatten the car completely. Same clearance to guard front and rear (or about 25mm compression of the leafs).

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been a few warranty issues of recent times with Outback Armour, and them not being honoured.

End of the day though, it's your car, and if you're happy that's the main thing [emoji106]

Funny that. I know of much the same going on with Bilstein. In fact they wouldn’t replace them even within 12mths but rather take them away for rebuilding leaving the vehicle ‘stranded’! In this case some Chinese ones were fitted and they’ve now been in for a couple of yrs and the owner prefers them & is keeping bilsteins as spares lol

MY14 Highline Taubenreuther Hiding Runva :P

Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICEWOLF View Post
    Funny that. I know of much the same going on with Bilstein. In fact they wouldn’t replace them even within 12mths but rather take them away for rebuilding leaving the vehicle ‘stranded’! In this case some Chinese ones were fitted and they’ve now been in for a couple of yrs and the owner prefers them & is keeping bilsteins as spares lol

Depends who you buy them from as to your warranty experience Baz...

I've seen the lengths that Mark goes to when he stands behind his Billies...

Last edited by Drew; 11th August 2018 at 11:02.
    Cheers, Andrew

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends who you buy them from as to your warranty experience Baz...

I've seen the lengths that Mark goes to when he stands behind his Billies...

Absolutely.

Guess I’m just tired of the whole debate.

I, like others have personally only experienced one over the other. I couldn’t have imagined a better product at the time but in my case I had zero issues AND local support had I required it, so just another individual example. However an immediate family member had the aforementioned issues. Just glad it wasn’t me because I really dislike doing things over.

MY14 Highline Taubenreuther Hiding Runva :P

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too late now, at least its a work car and paid by work so its their problem At least the 4x4 shop who fitted it is walking distance from the office, so if/when it **** itself I can just grab a spare Hilux.

Thread Information