Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: New suspension seems too high

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New suspension seems too high

I just had a new suspension kit installed in my V6 Rok. Bilstein 24-243964-1 struts with HR 94129F coils in the front. I have a winch and steel bullbar. I didn't measure the height before installation but after it is 595mm from wheel centre to the bottom of the flare. This seems ptretty high to me as I thought I read that 565 was about max. Question is will it settle 30mm or so in a short time or is this going to cause CV issues.

Thanks
    Iain

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @IainM,

They will not settle down that much as the H&R coils are very high quality spring steel & have a very minimal settling rate.
    Please explain the setup you have, brand of bar, winch & most importantly the weight you are carrying in the rear as this plays just as an important part as the weight on the front.
    Also which ring groove did you use on the install?

Cheers
    Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, I have a a AFN bar and Runva winch in the front. In the rear I have a Canopy, set of wooden storage drawers Fridge and second battery. I will be putting a long range tank in soon. Not sure about the ring groove, is there a way I can tell by looking at it.

Iain

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New suspension seems too high

Iain, with the gear you have on the front you are are only running about 80kg, given the weight you have in the rear you need to be running the light weight coils which are rated 0-75kg. Nearly all the weight in the rear on a dual cab is loaded aft of the axle, that weight unloads the front end making it lighter. Even though you have the V6 which is a bit heavier than the 2.0lt the 300-400kg plus that you have permanently in the rear is unloading the front by at a guess about 30kg or so.
    With the ring groove if you didnít change it it will be on the lower one. When I ship them out from me they are all set on the lowest groove & I canít see any reason the reseller you bought them from wouldíve changed that.

Cheers
    Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Net4x4; 24th May 2018 at 23:59.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, thanks for your advice. It looks like I have stuffed up my measurements. Realised that when I measured it yesterday the vehicle was parked on a reasonable slope with the back down hill. Thought I'd better check it on level ground before I rang the supplier. The new measurements (checked about 3 times like I should have done yesterday) are 570mm front right and about 573 front left. These seem a lot closer to what I was expecting. I might wait and see if they settle a few MM before I do anything else. Sorry if I have wasted your time.

Iain
    Last edited by IainM; 25th May 2018 at 07:32.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem mate happy to help.
    As they say the only silly question is the one not asked. The coils will settle in to their final height very quickly & getting a where alignment done soon would be a good idea. The 570mm mark is on the upper end of what we like to have for a lift just keep in mind the more weight you add to the rear the more the front will come up.
    Cheers
    Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark, I'll keep my eye on it and see how it goes.

Iain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Net4x4 View Post
    No problem mate happy to help.
    As they say the only silly question is the one not asked. The coils will settle in to their final height very quickly & getting a where alignment done soon would be a good idea. The 570mm mark is on the upper end of what we like to have for a lift just keep in mind the more weight you add to the rear the more the front will come up.
    Cheers
    Mark

is there a diff drop for the v6 yet so that it isent a problem with the cv's when lifted that much
    2016 core

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Havenít tried one on a V6 yet but I canít see why there would be any different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar situation with our my13.
    Maniac bar and winch, suspension lift was at max recommended height.
    We had suspension top out over bumps regularly.
    Ended up changing front springs for lower rated ones and now front suspension all good with improved ride.

Thread Information