User Tag List

Thread: What Could Go Wrong?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Could Go Wrong?

Hi all,
    My Amarok is under a lease which expires in August this year (i.e. a few months). I can't extend the lease due to rules.
    Due to the same rules and cost, I can't organise to lease a new Amarok, which would have been perfect. Due to various other issues, I am struggling to find a replacement vehicle for us that will serve as well as the Amarok...in fact struggling to find almost anything.
    Whatever I lease will be a step down from the Amarok.

Due to klms I travel, on rural roads, and that I don't have a second driver in the house (i.e. in case of breakdown, car being repaired, etc), the idea of a leased car, with new car warranty is very appealing.

However as I am struggling to work a replacement car, I am tossing up having a new 'lesser' vehicle with warranty, against keeping the Amarok after the lease expires (i.e. buying it out). I'm concerned that if I keep the Amarok, I may not be able to afford any major repairs.

I can look to put aside $ to keep for the costs and repairs (like the lease does), but in this day and age I know it may not always work like that as we all tighten belts.

So, the question to the gathering - with the details of the car (below), and the experience here regarding items that may go at certain intervals (especially larger breakdowns), what kind of repairs could I expect in the next few years, if i keep the car? I know its the proverbial piece-of-string question, but its worth an ask.

Thanks all.

2014 2WD DoubleCab (single turbo)
    Currently on 178000 k's, predicted to be at 195000 k's by end of lease in August
    Serviced by VW at required intervals

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power steering began to whine at 120,000. Had to be replaced as it was also losing fluid.
    EGR & DPF if you have them on the single turbo.
    Turbo.
    Set covers wore out at 85,000.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Powersteering loosing fluid, changed at 115k
    - alternatorbearing began to whine, alternator changed at 104k
    - EGR killed at 118k --> deactivated

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, appreciate your info. I haven't had any of those issues so they are yet to come. Enjoy your day.

Thread Information