Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: Wheel Alignment issues - more evidence

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel Alignment issues - more evidence

So I have read about peoples alignment issues on here and had a small one of my own that I thought you might find interesting.

My V6 is 10k odl now, and always had the wheel a tad right hand down, about 10mm of so. It drove straight and didn't pull, its just the steering wheel wasn't centre.

I had a flat, and while getting repaired I got the alignment done. Here is what they found:

The Amarok V6 has never had an alignment, it was as per the factory and way out. Everything, Camber, Castor, Toe, the works. Apparently this is normal but the tolerance at the Factory is wide so its considered "aligned". And the steering issue is the rear solid axle is not straight, common problem with leaf springs and apparently when you load up one side of a leaf sprung car the leaf pulls the axel slightly causing a crab, very minor but demonstrates the issue. Not all cars are affected, and no the chassis is not bent. It could all change if i did a lift and fitted new springs for example, could go the other way.

I had a similar issue on an XR6Turbo ute I had when I was younger and dumber and when I lowered it, one leaf was higher than the other, causing the exact same affect as above. Once re-set to the same shape it was all fine.

Anyway, all sorted now, they managed to get the wheel within a Bees dick of centre, and by god it steers good now. I thought it handled well before, now its brilliant.

The said the fixings under the front where still shiny and new, not a mark so never touched after being assembled. Goes to show how many Amaroks might be getting around with the front geometry completely up the ****.

I wonder if this will fix the burning rubber smell coming from the rear...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to that Sym0,
    I had the same problem with the steering wheel being out of whack, not noticeably nor pulling to the left. Before this was picked up during 15k service in Alice Springs, I was having trouble with the ESP warning light coming on intermittently and negating the cruise control. This being a pain in the proverbial as we had been travelling from home on the Goldie through the Flinders and stops along the way.
    However long story short, I had managed to ruin a tire whist in the East McDonalds and had to wait for a new one to come out from Sydney, so had the service was done, wheels aligned, and the dealer said that the steering angle sensor was faulty and in need of a new one. As they had none in stock, surprise surprise, I elected to put up with the lack of cruise control till we got back to the coast.
    Now comes the scary part. Alignment was so far out it had scrubbed the shoulder of the off LH side front tyre and ruined it, so i elected to have the new tyre fitted on that wheel and lo and behold drove out the tyre dealers and no ESP light which has not been on since in another 11k,
    Go figure,
    Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to watch is fitting a bullbar to the front. The oem springs and shocks are tuned soft and weight of the bull bar will pull the front down and make it impossible to properly align the front end. I put pedders heavy duty lifted springs and foam cell shocks in and itís made a world of difference. Much firmer on the road and sits back up where itís supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Another thing to watch is fitting a bullbar to the front. The oem springs and shocks are tuned soft and weight of the bull bar will pull the front down and make it impossible to properly align the front end. I put pedders heavy duty lifted springs and foam cell shocks in and itís made a world of difference. Much firmer on the road and sits back up where itís supposed to.

Thatís the same for all cars, anything the modified the geometry (weight) needs to be corrected at some point but a standard car this is not so good.

On the topic of bull bars the Amarok is at mac GVM on the front axels so legally none of them should have anything on the front.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel Alignment issues - more evidence

Quote Originally Posted by Sym0 View Post
    Thatís the same for all cars, anything the modified the geometry (weight) needs to be corrected at some point but a standard car this is not so good.

On the topic of bull bars the Amarok is at mac GVM on the front axels so legally none of them should have anything on the front.

Not quite right there with weight added to the front. The front axle is designed to carry a minimum of 1000kg to keep correct steering geometry but can be loaded up to a maximum axle load of 1180kg which allows plenty there to add a heavy bar & winch if needed but heavier rated coil springs would be needed to keep the front up.

Cheers
    Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Net4x4 View Post
    Not quite right there with weight added to the front. The front axle is designed to carry a minimum of 1000kg to keep correct steering geometry but can be loaded up to a maximum axle load of 1180kg which allows plenty there to add a heavy bar & winch if needed but heavier rated coil springs would be needed to keep the front up.

Cheers
    Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mark, hows the photos going for the spring setups with and with coils?

Thread Information