Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: HID Conversion

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HID Conversion

OK we upgraded the Halogen headlight to HID recently just got sick of replacing bulbs and from all accounts looking at this forum those who have converted to HIDs it has solved that issue so our problem is we found the left headlight will stop working after a while, a quick turn off on a couple of times and it works again, now from experience when I fitted our old Disco 2 with HIDs if the left headlight stopped working it turned out to be a bad earth, of course HIDs back then where not plug and play like they are now.

So as these don't have a designated earth so to speak, any tips would be helpful.

Baz.
    Cheers Baz.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auto headlights?
    MY14 Highline Taubenreuther Hiding Runva :P

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICEWOLF View Post
    Auto headlights?
    No doesn't have that setting.
    Cheers Baz.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the ballast isn't faulty then it may be the operating voltage (check battery v while cranking). I understand they have under/over voltage cutouts.
    I had zero issues with HID's in previous Amarok, however nothing but problems with them in the Subaru (known earth inadequacies) until using a better quality hid kit & bigger battery.
    Other than that, do check your existing earth points. I had one which looked fine but the plastic cable management ring was insulating the lug.
    MY14 Highline Taubenreuther Hiding Runva :P

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate I'll check all those things, pretty sure the battery is fairly new, because this is plug & play it gets it's power from the headlight plugs and doesn't have a seperate earth to connect to the body of the car.

It still has the original battery in it so it's at least 6yrs old, we found that turning the lights on and off a few times got them to work again which could mean a faulty ballast.

We'll look at today and see what we can find, failing that we'll have it looked at by our mechanic.

Thanks Baz.
    Cheers Baz.
    Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HIDs won't work in halogen lenses, different focal point - you'll just scatter the light and ruin your night vision. If it makes you feel better the Bi-Xenon (HID) in the V6 are absolute ****, the Holgens in the Prado **** all over them, and the high beam? What high beam, the high beam lenses are the size of a match box...

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sym0 View Post
    HIDs won't work in halogen lenses, different focal point - you'll just scatter the light and ruin your night vision. If it makes you feel better the Bi-Xenon (HID) in the V6 are absolute ****, the Holgens in the Prado **** all over them, and the high beam? What high beam, the high beam lenses are the size of a match box...
    That is odd, my company car a LC 200 halogen are laugable at best. I think there are miniature men inside the head lights that lights up the candles when you turn the lights on. However my Canyon HID are the 2nd best light I've encountered, after the Audi RS6 HID.
    They have razor sharp cut of edges, no blue hue distortion at outer angles and the lit area are as close as to dayligh colours as you can get atm.

But back to the original issue. HID conversion are a hit and miss at the best of time. They are very sensitive to voltage and current fluctuations, they flickers in cars with big stereos because of current changes and some manufacture installs decent capacitors in their system to overcome this. A simple plug and play conversion kit success will vary from brand to brand and cost.
    Last edited by hungry6; 23rd February 2018 at 20:44.
    When the brains fail, brute force prevail.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Prados high beams are very bright, low beams not so much. The high beams in the V6 are laughable. I donít use them because they literally donít do much. When you see the lens is smaller than the reverse light youíll know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information