Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: Belt failure then squeak when turning

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belt failure then squeak when turning

Hey guys had the serpentine belt fail on Boxing Day whilst I was putting the kids in the car prior to a drive to Merimbula from Melbourne bel, noticed a burning smell coming into the cab so shut the car down and jumped out to have a look and low and behold there was a broken serpentine belt, I was lucky I think that the car wasn't under load and the belt hadn't breached the timing cover (I have the older timing cover it's on the to do list just don't want to give VW 400 to do it when it should have been a recall item). So after a bit of a freak out I did the run around and found a belt (actually brought 2 as repco had 40% off so I had a spare for my tool box). I checked all of the pulleys and non appeared to have ceased. Replaced the belt and away we went all be it nervously. Car drove fine for a week then on the drive between Merimbula and bright the car was making an intermittent really load squeak when off camber or slightly turning right, any one here had something similar and if so what was the fix, I'm thinking I'm going to pull he belt off again and have another look at the pulleys, could this be bearing related?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeCat View Post
    Hey guys had the serpentine belt fail on Boxing Day whilst I was putting the kids in the car prior to a drive to Merimbula from Melbourne bel, noticed a burning smell coming into the cab so shut the car down and jumped out to have a look and low and behold there was a broken serpentine belt, I was lucky I think that the car wasn't under load and the belt hadn't breached the timing cover (I have the older timing cover it's on the to do list just don't want to give VW 400 to do it when it should have been a recall item). So after a bit of a freak out I did the run around and found a belt (actually brought 2 as repco had 40% off so I had a spare for my tool box). I checked all of the pulleys and non appeared to have ceased. Replaced the belt and away we went all be it nervously. Car drove fine for a week then on the drive between Merimbula and bright the car was making an intermittent really load squeak when off camber or slightly turning right, any one here had something similar and if so what was the fix, I'm thinking I'm going to pull he belt off again and have another look at the pulleys, could this be bearing related?

Check your power steering pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    V6 Highline MY17
    Yamaha FJR 1300

Of all the things I've lost, the thing I miss the most, is my mind!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokhard View Post
    Check your power steering pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeh will do hopefully it's not cactus I'm guessing with euro tax would be an expensive part.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Luke.
    Did you check the alignment of the tensioner pulley? I've had 2 let go. The pulley bearing is fine, it's the bush behind it that lets go and puts the pulley on a tilted angle towards the top. VW replaced my second one, pulley had 40k on it and ute had 190k.
    Cheers, Roo

MY 13 Trendy manual. No Colour...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look tonight @Roo and can't seem to see any play in it with the belt on I'll pull the belt off over the weekend and have another look, there's defiantly a bit of what seems like bearing noise around the belt when it's idling.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copy that @LukeCat. Mine didn't have any noise as such, it was more just a case of the pulley being on a big angle tilted to the top. It's easy to see if it has failed as the angle is way out compared to all the others and the crank.
    Good luck.
    Cheers, Roo

MY 13 Trendy manual. No Colour...

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check alternator pulley.
    Cheers,
    Mikhail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the bearing noise stop when the ac is on?
    Check that pulley too.

Thread Information