Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deceased Amarok - Overheated and now dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deceased Amarok - Overheated and now dead.

G'day Guys, ADVICE SOUGHT! What do reckon is wrong my Amarok. It is a 2014 model with 120,000 km. Last week the thermostat light came on and the temperature rose into the red. On both occasions, i let it cool down and topped up the water level. This morning it wouldn't start and I have now booked a tow truck. There was an obvious coolant smell. But the oil doesn't appear contaminated. The water level continued to drop, but there is no obvious leak. There was some white steam coming out of the exhaust, but the car wasn't running badly? (until this morning that is). What do you guys think the problem will be? How much do think it will cost me to repair? Cheers, Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauciflora View Post
    G'day Guys, ADVICE SOUGHT! What do reckon is wrong my Amarok. It is a 2014 model with 120,000 km. Last week the thermostat light came on and the temperature rose into the red. On both occasions, i let it cool down and topped up the water level. This morning it wouldn't start and I have now booked a tow truck. There was an obvious coolant smell. But the oil doesn't appear contaminated. The water level continued to drop, but there is no obvious leak. There was some white steam coming out of the exhaust, but the car wasn't running badly? (until this morning that is). What do you guys think the problem will be? How much do think it will cost me to repair? Cheers, Ben
    Ben, it sounds like your egr cooler is leaking. It lets water into the motor through the egr. Replace the egr and cooler and you should be good to go.

Pretty common problem. If allowed to continue too long it will be fatal for the engine.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth07 View Post
    Ben, it sounds like your egr cooler is leaking. It lets water into the motor through the egr. Replace the egr and cooler and you should be good to go.

Pretty common problem. If allowed to continue too long it will be fatal for the engine.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Smooth07, I hope I haven't destroyed the engine in the beast. All will be revealed tomorrow I suppose. Cheers, Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the leaking egr cooler issue and vw replaced it under warranty no major issues. Hope yours is not fatal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could also be blown head gasket? I had a head gasket go on my 4 cylinder Amarok at about 115,000km and it caused the engine to overheat. Ask the workshop to do a pressure test on the cooling system for you and it should find the cause. VW helped out with partial warranty even though it was out of warranty period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy Crap 2018 is off to a bad start

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoffski View Post
    Could also be blown head gasket? I had a head gasket go on my 4 cylinder Amarok at about 115,000km and it caused the engine to overheat. Ask the workshop to do a pressure test on the cooling system for you and it should find the cause. VW helped out with partial warranty even though it was out of warranty period.

Things are bad. This morning I had my Amarok towed to the VW dealership where I purchased the car from. I just got a phone call to say that the EGR needed to be replaced. But the reason the car wouldn't start was because, water had entered the motor. So they have to pull the head off and check it for straightness and replace it. THE F)*&%^( COST AROUND $3000. This is without properly quoting the job 15 hours X $165 per hour labour.

Can't the injectors be removed purge the system of coolant. Start the vehicle and run a compression test. It sounds as though they are conducting a heart transplant without actually checking the condition of the patients heart. When I switched off the car it was running perfectly. Even with the faulty EGR. So why do they need to pull the engine down?

I'm f*&^^%$# furious. The car is less than four years old is serviced more frequently than the service schedule. The last time it was serviced was the 14th December.

When the car overheated on Friday. I called the service department, they said top up the water and if happens again we will pressure test it. They didn't say, this is going to cost you $3000. Otherwise I would have stopped driving it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day. Whatever you do DO NOT buy a f*^% Amarok. This is why they lost the war!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day. Whatever you do DO NOT buy a f*^% Amarok. This is why they lost the war!!
    Troll...

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Historically incorrect. VW exists because they lost the war. Volkswagen was re-established by an English Major post war.

https://www.thelocal.de/20150925/the...-after-the-war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for a stereo for 2012 Amarok or the plug behind it or a wiring diagram for the plug

Supporting Member kombiutedriver's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MoDs .... please feel free to move this post if you think it needs to be posted as a separate thread

2013 Amarok (102,000 km) trails smoke like a shot-down WWII fighter plane

This sounds similar to my experience over the Easter long weekend.

On Easter Saturday I was driving up the Sunshine Coast motorway and was driving between the Buderim and Maroochydore turnoffs when smoke started pouring out of my 2013 Amarok. Felt like I was a WWII fighter pilot being shot down. Lost power and limped over the rise and pulled over in the emergency stopping bay.

Called the RACQ for a tow to my nearest VW Dealer Cricks Volkswagen and had it checked out by another guy from RACQ. Locked it up and left it there for the rest of the long weekend. Thought I may have done the DPF due to what I had described as happening.

On Tuesday 3 April
    9:00am
    I called into Cricks and told them what had happened and waited for the damage report.
    At 2:15pm
    I got an update
    Coolant leaking from EGR Cooler internally which would require a replacement of the EGR cooler and gaskets and service the Amarok along with the timing belt and water pump.
    Retest everything once completed.
    EGR Cooler cost $1019.50
    Total Cost with service and timing belt $2755.50

Wednesday 4 April
    Morning update via email
    Contamination of brake fluid in the brake fluid chamber at some point over time.
    This has now caused contamination with the braking system which is a safety item and we would not recommend driving the vehicle as it is.
    Car will not be ready till mid next week.
    Parts required to make vehicle safe will be:-
    Parts
    Brake Master Cylinder (contaminated) - $526.90
    Brake Master Cylinder Gaskets - $23.10
    2x Wheel Cylinders (contaminated) - $293.70 (for both)
    Front Calliper Kit - $42.90
    2x Front Brake Hose - $129.80 (for both)
    2x Rear Brake Hose - $85.80 (for both)
    TOTAL PARTS - $1102.20
    Labour
    5 Hours @ $154 per hour - $770.00
    TOTAL FOR ABOVE REPAIRS ON TOP OF ALREADY QUOTED - $1872.20
    SERVICE AND EGR COOLER REPAIRS

Afternoon update
    email about 2:15pm
    More bad news
    Car just arrived back from breaking down and the engine is seized. I am getting the boys to price up the new engine for you but its not going to be good.
    Cricks took the vehicle for a test drive and had to be towed back to the service department.
    Yep and what does that mean I ask ......
    Price another engine for you .....
    Supposed to get another email update before closing at 5:30pm.

5:31pm
    email
    Hi Brett,
    Just started to attempt your email for the estimate for the engine required but the workshop have not given me the labour times to quote on. I am sorry for the delay.
    I have the parts costing but I wanted to get to you all together.
    I think it may be worth contacting your Insurance company to see if they would consider covering the repairs as this is all resulting from the EGR Cooler leaking and the Head Gasket blowing, we were unable to test until the EGR Cooler was replaced .
    I will email you tomorrow once I get the labour for our workshop foreman. I will be on the driveway until 9.30am so I will look at when I come back in from doing that .
    Thanks for your patience.
    ......... | Volkswagen Service Advisor
    Cricks Volkswagen

Yep I am in for a whole lot of pain me thinks. ....... sigh ......

Can't wait to see what unfolds tomorrow. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Brett
    Moffat Beach, Sunshine Coast
    Soon to be Rok owner 2013
    74 SC Kombi Ute
    and numerous kombi projects

Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm... Go to VWA and talk to them, I certainly wouldn't be paying for the new engine when yours seized during their test drive.

That's why they have workshop insurance - if the engine seized while they were driving it, then it wasn't seized when you left it.

I had a Holden dealer try this trick on me about 10 years ago, and they paid for the engine and all the labour, not me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Andrew

ACV - Sand Beige Highline

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes itís their responsibility from the time the car enter the workshop until you take it back....
    Iím starting to be be really tired of Volkswagen sales and services...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Jerome

MY13 Highline Auto natural Grey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Drew and Jerome.

I am trying to stay calm about it all and not jump down their throats.

The Volkswagen Service Advisor seemed to be very uncomfortable about it all from the moment the engine seized.

Have to wait and see what unfolds.

Brett
    74 SC Kombi Ute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen

HELP

I need your advice for this please

Here is the email I received at 12:00pm today from the Service Department ....... Deep breath and Big sigh .......

Hi Brett,

Ok we have finally got to the bottom to what has happened yesterday and we are only glad that it did not happen whilst you were driving it. The oil has been overfilled prior to the car being towed to us here. The excess oil has got into the DPF and in turn been blown into the engine all over the place (There was no sign of water in the engine as the RAC Q said as this was all checked but it was overfull with oil

We changed the oil and filter as part of the service and reset to correct level , unfortunately residual oil inside the inlet manifold has caused the engine to over rev on road test , we attempted to shut engine down but because it was running on the residual oil the engine continued to run till it has failed

We believe that you should speak with your insurance company or whoever filled your car with oil prior to the car coming into us as the overfilling has caused this issues with the EGR Cooler and the engine seizing (THE DPF full of oil was the WW2 noise from the car whilst driving and the smoke)

Let me know how you get on with the insurance company and please pass my details on if they need to speak with someone.

PARTS FOR ENGINE REPAIR

Engine - $7856.20
    Thermostat - $82.50
    Coolant Flange - $136.40
    Coolant Pipe O Ring - $4.40
    Coolant Hose - $184.80
    Intake Gasket - $50.60
    4x Injector O Rings - $13.20 (for the 4)
    Injector Gasket - $13.20
    Injector Gasket - $11.00
    Turbo Gasket - $47.30
    Turbo Pipe Gasket - $10.45
    Clamp - $3.30
    2x Turbo Pipe Washer - $6.32 (for both)
    2X Turbo Pipe Washer - $4.40 (for both)
    Turbo Pipe Washers - $12.10
    Turbo Pipe Washer - $7.15
    Turbo Washer Bolt - $34.10
    Exhaust Flange Gasket - $19.80
    Exhaust Flange Clamp - $67.10
    DPF (diesel Particulate Filter) - $3383.60
    Exhaust Clamp - $41.80
    Turbo - $5172.20
    Intercooler - $666.60

TOTAL PARTS - $17,828.52

LABOUR 12.1 HOURS - $1863.40

TOTAL FOR ENGINE REPAIRS - $19,691.92

The above repairs do not
    included the EGR Cooler Repairs
    and Service Items - $2705.50

Brake System repairs for oil that
    was found in the brake fluid
    due to someone putting the
    oil in the wrong place - $1872.40

TOTAL FOR ALL ABOVE - $24,269.82

...... | Volkswagen Service Advisor
    74 SC Kombi Ute

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheesh....glad that's not to me.

Good luck.
    Amarok Highline Natural Grey 2016

A man must believe in something.
    I believe I'll have another beer.

Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a loaf of crap...

Overfilled oil won't cause dieselling, it will cause the engine to hydraulic lock from the sump... The engine will seize if it runs dry - if anything being overfilled, it will blow-by the excess oil out the exhaust.

Tell them to try to come up with a better story!!
    Cheers, Andrew

ACV - Sand Beige Highline

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first manufacturer to put a decent fuel efficient petrol engine in a Ute will do very well.

Pauciflora, out of curiosity was your ute previously serviced by a VW dealer?

My ute was bought and is serviced by Cricks and up to now I cannot complain.....
    Last edited by mlg; 5th April 2018 at 17:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mig

The recent saga is my 13 Amarok and it was bought through Cricks and serviced by Cricks at Maroochydore.

It is their service department that drove my Rok out for a test drive, seized the engine and had it towed back to Cricks.

Now they want to charge me $24,269.82 to remedy it.

Quote Originally Posted by mlg View Post
    The first manufacturer to put a decent fuel efficient petrol engine in a Ute will do very well.

Pauciflora, out of curiosity was your ute previously serviced by a VW dealer?

My ute was bought and is serviced by Cricks and up to now I cannot complain.....
    74 SC Kombi Ute

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can they found oil on brake system... ??🤯 who had been doing services in this car?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Jerome

MY13 Highline Auto natural Grey

Thread Information