Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: Deceased Amarok - Overheated and now dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deceased Amarok - Overheated and now dead.

G'day Guys, ADVICE SOUGHT! What do reckon is wrong my Amarok. It is a 2014 model with 120,000 km. Last week the thermostat light came on and the temperature rose into the red. On both occasions, i let it cool down and topped up the water level. This morning it wouldn't start and I have now booked a tow truck. There was an obvious coolant smell. But the oil doesn't appear contaminated. The water level continued to drop, but there is no obvious leak. There was some white steam coming out of the exhaust, but the car wasn't running badly? (until this morning that is). What do you guys think the problem will be? How much do think it will cost me to repair? Cheers, Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauciflora View Post
    G'day Guys, ADVICE SOUGHT! What do reckon is wrong my Amarok. It is a 2014 model with 120,000 km. Last week the thermostat light came on and the temperature rose into the red. On both occasions, i let it cool down and topped up the water level. This morning it wouldn't start and I have now booked a tow truck. There was an obvious coolant smell. But the oil doesn't appear contaminated. The water level continued to drop, but there is no obvious leak. There was some white steam coming out of the exhaust, but the car wasn't running badly? (until this morning that is). What do you guys think the problem will be? How much do think it will cost me to repair? Cheers, Ben
    Ben, it sounds like your egr cooler is leaking. It lets water into the motor through the egr. Replace the egr and cooler and you should be good to go.

Pretty common problem. If allowed to continue too long it will be fatal for the engine.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth07 View Post
    Ben, it sounds like your egr cooler is leaking. It lets water into the motor through the egr. Replace the egr and cooler and you should be good to go.

Pretty common problem. If allowed to continue too long it will be fatal for the engine.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Smooth07, I hope I haven't destroyed the engine in the beast. All will be revealed tomorrow I suppose. Cheers, Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the leaking egr cooler issue and vw replaced it under warranty no major issues. Hope yours is not fatal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could also be blown head gasket? I had a head gasket go on my 4 cylinder Amarok at about 115,000km and it caused the engine to overheat. Ask the workshop to do a pressure test on the cooling system for you and it should find the cause. VW helped out with partial warranty even though it was out of warranty period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy Crap 2018 is off to a bad start

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoffski View Post
    Could also be blown head gasket? I had a head gasket go on my 4 cylinder Amarok at about 115,000km and it caused the engine to overheat. Ask the workshop to do a pressure test on the cooling system for you and it should find the cause. VW helped out with partial warranty even though it was out of warranty period.

Things are bad. This morning I had my Amarok towed to the VW dealership where I purchased the car from. I just got a phone call to say that the EGR needed to be replaced. But the reason the car wouldn't start was because, water had entered the motor. So they have to pull the head off and check it for straightness and replace it. THE F)*&%^( COST AROUND $3000. This is without properly quoting the job 15 hours X $165 per hour labour.

Can't the injectors be removed purge the system of coolant. Start the vehicle and run a compression test. It sounds as though they are conducting a heart transplant without actually checking the condition of the patients heart. When I switched off the car it was running perfectly. Even with the faulty EGR. So why do they need to pull the engine down?

I'm f*&^^%$# furious. The car is less than four years old is serviced more frequently than the service schedule. The last time it was serviced was the 14th December.

When the car overheated on Friday. I called the service department, they said top up the water and if happens again we will pressure test it. They didn't say, this is going to cost you $3000. Otherwise I would have stopped driving it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day. Whatever you do DO NOT buy a f*^% Amarok. This is why they lost the war!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day. Whatever you do DO NOT buy a f*^% Amarok. This is why they lost the war!!
    Troll...

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Historically incorrect. VW exists because they lost the war. Volkswagen was re-established by an English Major post war.

https://www.thelocal.de/20150925/the...-after-the-war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for a stereo for 2012 Amarok or the plug behind it or a wiring diagram for the plug

Thread Information