Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: Hitches for OEM Tow Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitches for OEM Tow Bar

Hi all, just picked up a Highline on Friday and it had the OEM tow pack which it seems is from Best Bars NZ.
    Well it seems that the hitch and tongue is not your standard fare and the hole is situated further back, thus negating all my old hitches and recovery hitch.
    The hitch provided comes with a 50mm ball, which is fine, however it also needs to accept a DO35 coupling.
    Attempted to swap the couplings over but no matter what socket or spanner I had (or purchased specifically) they would not fit as the side flanges make it impossible to get any hold on the nut. See below:
    20171211_111413 (Medium).jpg

So I contacted the dealer to see if I could just purchase a 2nd hitch, and was informed they only sell the whole tow pack as a complete system.
    So off to Google and found a few options but too sure if they will actually fit. The distance between the ball and the hole is 160mm, however my concern is that the distance from the ball to the base of the bar is very close and many of the alternatives seem to be of longer.
    20171211_111452 (Medium).jpg20171209_112557 (Medium).jpg

If you are aware of an alternative hitch that will fit the OEM can you please advise.
    Thanks.

Cheers
    Vegie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ARK hitch part no TBH280 which fits. It is about 170mm from the centre of the hitch pin hole to where the bar joins the flange. I got it from Couplemate trailer parts 136 Glenora St, Wynnum. I also have a recovery hitch, can't think of the brand name and haven't got the car with me at the moment, that I got from TJM in Shore St, Cleveland. They carry a couple of brands and one fits with a few mm to spare.

Iain

Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Net4x4 manufactures and sells a recovery tongue designed specifically for the Amarok hitch

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Andrew

ACV - Sand Beige Highline

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most hitches can be bought with the deeper hole location these days. I replaced mine to move the trailer hitch 30 mm further from the rear step. I had the same hitch and ended up buying a 33mm impact socket to get the vw ball off. I then had to go the another shop to convert from 3/4" to 1/2" drive, just so I could use the bike rack plate on the CT. Needless to say, the kids balance bikes don't fit the carrier and my wife's bike prefers to drag a wheel along the road. Mine does fit perfectly though...Idiot 🙄

Matt
    Matt
    Ravenna Blue V6 Amarok Ultimate

Interested in joining the Amarok Club of QLD? Email info@amarokclubqld.org.au for an application

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 33mm impact socket online with a 1/2" drive.

I've also got a Hayman Reese hitch from a previous vehicle that I had an extra hole drilled in the right location. I only use it for box trailers or our tinny.

My current problem is that I've realised the hole (for towballs, etc) in the OEM hitch is off the centreline by about 2mm and I can't get my McHitch Autocoupler straight. It may not be significant but it looks crappy and I don't like it.

Anyone else have the same fault?

Cheers,

Tony

Thread Information