User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V6 Amarok Stop/Start Disable developed

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile V6 Amarok Stop/Start Disable developed

I have today installed my prototype SS Disable circuit and I am happy to report that initial testing appears to be successful. I intend to test it more comprehensively over the next few weeks and refine the design to be a little more ergonomically pleasing.
    My design brief was based on the fact that investigations using VCDS revealed that a software fix was going to be difficult as some of the new ECU and CAN modules in this Amarok have no long coding helpers yet developed by Ross-Tech and I was reluctant to change any parameters that may attract attention from VAG or be erased easily when any factory software updates are flashed in. Also none of the other model VW fixes seemed to work on the V6, so this left little option for a software fix.
    The design had to be installed with a minimum of modification/disruption to existing wiring and circuits and needed to operate in a similar fashion to the driver actually pressing the SS switch. It should not disable the OEM SS switch during normal operation.
    I have designed a timer circuit to automatically emulate the pressing of the SS switch at a predetermined time after start up, thus disabling the SS function without any driver intervention. If during the journey the driver wishes to reinstate SS He/She simply presses the SS switch to enable the function. For me the hard part was working out where to get into the Amarok wiring to do this. I found that getting to the back of the SS switch was difficult and I have found an alternative location that works equally well. No original wiring is cut and the car can be returned to stock within minutes.
    Finally, I have got rid of that annoying feature that in my opinion adds little value and has been responsible for many skid marks in my undies when I have needed to merge or act FAST when stationary.
    Pete
    V6 Highline MY17
    Yamaha FJR 1300

Of all the things I've lost, the thing I miss the most, is my mind!

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokhard View Post
    I have today installed my prototype SS Disable circuit and I am happy to report that initial testing appears to be successful. I intend to test it more comprehensively over the next few weeks and refine the design to be a little more ergonomically pleasing.
    My design brief was based on the fact that investigations using VCDS revealed that a software fix was going to be difficult as some of the new ECU and CAN modules in this Amarok have no long coding helpers yet developed by Ross-Tech and I was reluctant to change any parameters that may attract attention from VAG or be erased easily when any factory software updates are flashed in. Also none of the other model VW fixes seemed to work on the V6, so this left little option for a software fix.
    The design had to be installed with a minimum of modification/disruption to existing wiring and circuits and needed to operate in a similar fashion to the driver actually pressing the SS switch. It should not disable the OEM SS switch during normal operation.
    I have designed a timer circuit to automatically emulate the pressing of the SS switch at a predetermined time after start up, thus disabling the SS function without any driver intervention. If during the journey the driver wishes to reinstate SS He/She simply presses the SS switch to enable the function. For me the hard part was working out where to get into the Amarok wiring to do this. I found that getting to the back of the SS switch was difficult and I have found an alternative location that works equally well. No original wiring is cut and the car can be returned to stock within minutes.
    Finally, I have got rid of that annoying feature that in my opinion adds little value and has been responsible for many skid marks in my undies when I have needed to merge or act FAST when stationary.
    Pete
    OK so I think the real question is when do you start production and how do I put an order in?

Well done. Let us know how the testing goes.
    Ravenna Blue Ultimate

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I have proven the circuit and refined the design, it would be possible to build these up as a kit with a pre programmed timer and installation instructions. I am thinking probably less than $50.....Intersted?

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    V6 Highline MY17
    Yamaha FJR 1300

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I have proven the circuit and refined the design, it would be possible to build these up as a kit with a pre programmed timer and installation instructions. I am thinking probably less than $50.....Intersted?

Sure. If it's a easy as you say it is and retains original functionality. I'm sold. I'm hating the SS.
    Ravenna Blue Ultimate

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put me down for one... Keen for an easy install, that will set the stop/stop to disable automatically...
    MY17 TDI550 Highline - Candy White

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good...

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff, the stop start is certainly annoying.

This is a great option for those that don't want to put a change of parameters into the ECM.

We've been doing stop start disables thru the ecm since march, but cost is inhibitive usually if this is all people want

If you need an installer in vic, let me know.

Cheers
    -Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Stage 3 Vw Amarok (Manta 3 inch Turbo-back Exhaust & ECU Tune + water/alcohol injection, PWR intercooler) 7.4 ltr/100 on STD Tyres. 8.6 ltr/100 with 32 inch rubber!
    1/4 mile time: 15.6 sec , 60': 2.17 sec

Want expert Amarok tuning advice and parts? Send me a PM or call 0417550418.

Visit my online store here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in. I will buy one off you. Cheers.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me as well!

I will look back to see if you got some pics on here of what it looks like...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it suit the 2 litre bi turbo? Also 2015 Golf TDI?
    This piece of modern technology in new vehicles drives me spare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwg View Post
    Does it suit the 2 litre bi turbo? Also 2015 Golf TDI?
    This piece of modern technology in new vehicles drives me spare.

Not sure about the other vehicles as I am not sure I have the electrical circuits for the 2L with the SS fitted. What year is yours? I think it will work though as the principles are the same just need to figure out where to interface it in these vehicles

V6 Highline MY17
    Yamaha FJR 1300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both vehicles are 2015 models.
    I would think if it can be adapted to the various VW models it will be of great interest to many VW owners.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd Prototype Stop Start in test

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Sounds good to me as well!

I will look back to see if you got some pics on here of what it looks like...?
    here is a pic of the prototype, the electronics are stable and I am happy with the timings I have programmed .
    I would like to go with OEM plugs and sockets but they are proving very expensive including prices of $3 and $4 per pin it makes the project a bit expensive. My prototype simply uses low cost wire taps for the same result. Just does'nt look factory.
    Anyway going on a road trip for 3 weeks to prove it and lock the design down.
    here is a short video showing it in action
    https://youtu.be/HM6qJDCWk-A

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rokhard; 22nd August 2017 at 15:36.
    V6 Highline MY17
    Yamaha FJR 1300

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete
    I have posted pics and video on the unit further in this thread

V6 Highline MY17
    Yamaha FJR 1300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How hard is it to Install?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RokOnV6 View Post
    How hard is it to Install?
    3 pinch together wire taps and hide the box on the transmission hump behind dash. I can get rid of the wire taps with 2 oem vw plug and socket but cost about $40 to source and get delivered, then it becomes plug and play

V6 Highline MY17
    Yamaha FJR 1300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work rokhard. FYI I would be prepared to pay the extra for the plug and play. I prefer not to tap into the wires.

Cheers

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^^ x2
    Ravenna Blue Ultimate

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks the goods
    Nice work, definitely go the p n p version ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Stage 3 Vw Amarok (Manta 3 inch Turbo-back Exhaust & ECU Tune + water/alcohol injection, PWR intercooler) 7.4 ltr/100 on STD Tyres. 8.6 ltr/100 with 32 inch rubber!
    1/4 mile time: 15.6 sec , 60': 2.17 sec

Want expert Amarok tuning advice and parts? Send me a PM or call 0417550418.

Visit my online store here

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RokOnV6 View Post
    Nice work rokhard. FYI I would be prepared to pay the extra for the plug and play. I prefer not to tap into the wires.

Cheers
    Count me in for this as well please @Rokhard

Thread Information