Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: Is my economy high

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my economy high

Just got back from a 6k trip and i think my economy might he a bit on the high side.. want to get a bigger trailer but not sure about the figures.. i tow a 6x4 soft floor camper, bull bar, winch,rhino rack with two jerrys and a spare tyre, tyres are 265 70 R17 and an outback armour lift. Travelled at 100 to 105 and Averaged 15.7 from what i have read people towing much bigger setups 2t plus are getting better figures.. is it the stuff on the rack whats the problem or is is thos the norm.. cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ps i am keen on gettining a conqueror uev 490 and am concerned about economy... gvm is 1.9t

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Just got back from a 6k trip and i think my economy might he a bit on the high side.. want to get a bigger trailer but not sure about the figures.. i tow a 6x4 soft floor camper, bull bar, winch,rhino rack with two jerrys and a spare tyre, tyres are 265 70 R17 and an outback armour lift. Travelled at 100 to 105 and Averaged 15.7 from what i have read people towing much bigger setups 2t plus are getting better figures.. is it the stuff on the rack whats the problem or is is thos the norm.. cheers
    Ash. You would be surprised at what your roof rack and jerry cans will do to economy. It may be a bit on the high side but towing your camper doesn't help either.

As an aside putting the jerries and spare up there adds up to about 100kgs(rough guess). Think what that is doing to your centre of gravity when cornering.
    2012 Ontario Green Highline Tub liner Reverse sensors Soft tonneau Chrome sidesteps and sportsbar
    Bauermount with Cibie Oscars. Light bar and LED worklights up top

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my economy high

Sounds about right. Lay off the right foot if you want better economy mate. I've got a similar set up truck, and tow a Goldstream wind-up camper - average around 14l/100km but sit on 100kph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by _Kingy; 5th August 2017 at 11:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racks coming of this morning was only on for the trip. I actually put everything on the scales before i left and was pretty much bang on 100kgs including the rack.. pretty much all the accesories went on at the same time and this was the first trip. Stressed a bit when i saw those numbers. Thanks for the replies.

Mentioned
    515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds about right to me...

I have canopy, roof racks and an awning, and with 32" tyres on see low 11's on average, and when towing the boat or camper trailer see it go to 14-15...

Just about to switch the roof racks to a Rhino platform, so am a bit curious to see what the impact is to my everyday economy - I don't expect to see any change towing though

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Andrew

ACV - Sand Beige Highline

Amarok Alltrack

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you used the factory odometer to get total trip kms covered it will be out approx 5-6% with that tyre size over factory and as the other guys have said it sounds about right. I would be interested to know if a "tune" makes much of a difference when towing.
    Amarok MY12 - Candy White
    3" Manta Exhaust - J-Tech Power Tune - PWR Intercooler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i just used the readout on the display. Didnt even consider the difference in tyre size. Tune and exhaust hopefully wont be far away so will try get a bit of data and do a comparison when it happens.

Thread Information