Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: Primary fuel filter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Primary fuel filter

Does anyone know how many Micron the oem fuel filter is on the Amarok?

Thinking about installing a secondary filter with visible water trap.

Has anyone fitted one while still within warranty? Still tossing up whether there's any point doing so as warranty should cover any damage to the fuel system, and it may void warranty with an aftermarket filter. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure warranty will not cover a fuel related problem. Insurance sometimes does.

If you fit an additional fuel filter then you would still be covered by warranty unless they, being VW, can show the problem you are seeking warranty for was caused by the new filter. Insert ****fight now

You'll find a few threads on here about fuel filter installation.

Lastly, I haven't seen too many fuel system related issues on the Amarok, but do a search here to assess the risk of putting on another filter versus warranty coverage.
    Ravenna Blue Ultimate

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brookes2622 View Post
    I'm pretty sure warranty will not cover a fuel related problem. Insurance sometimes does.

If you fit an additional fuel filter then you would still be covered by warranty unless they, being VW, can show the problem you are seeking warranty for was caused by the new filter. Insert ****fight now

You'll find a few threads on here about fuel filter installation.

Lastly, I haven't seen too many fuel system related issues on the Amarok, but do a search here to assess the risk of putting on another filter versus warranty coverage.
    Yeh I figured it's one reason for VW to get out of a warranty claim... and even so if rather avoid any issue and not have to prove it was the filter! I'd sooner remove the system and send it to them in standard form if it needed to go back for warranty on an engine or fuel fault but hopefully that won't be needed if a second filter can save that from happening!

I've searched all the threads... seems to be a big lack if knowledge on the situation and I have seen a few cases of contimanted fuel causing big damage on roks, and allot of CRD vehicles for that matter. All CRD vehicles have been suffering from these issues since they came about. The rok isn't any different imo.

I'm convinced on fitting a Ryco 4 Micron Post OE filter on mine any way. Would just love to get a confirmed answer on the minimum flow rate requirements and what micron the OE filter etc... night have to ring VW or Ryco direct I'm thinking

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Primary fuel filter

Have a chat with @bt50li or @steveieh about them. Pretty sure they've got kits ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just installed this pre-filter. Doing a trip through the Kimberly mid year and heard plenty of horror stories about water in fuel in the middle of nowhere. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111994943094. Pretty easy to install still uses the factory filter but this will take out the water first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished fitting it up. Being a 4 Micron, I put it after the OE filter. As the OE filters I found are around 15 Micron, I wasn't happy with that filtration.

So yeh water trap and post OE filter combined is fitted. Was a Ryco kit, then I just cut some 100 psi hose up to suit.

Might check fuel pressure at HP tomorrow and make sure that's all good

Posting Freak
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why post filter?, would you not put it as a pre filter?, the factory filter costs $60 where as the fuel master or Repco ones cost half that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any truth behind the MY16 models coming from the factory with a water in fuel alarm? I recall reading it in A press release article.

Sent using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sween_82 View Post
    Is there any truth behind the MY16 models coming from the factory with a water in fuel alarm? I recall reading it in A press release article.

Sent using Tapatalk
    I haven't read about it anywhere. How would you tell, besides putting water in the fuel?
    Ravenna Blue Ultimate

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steveieh View Post
    Why post filter?, would you not put it as a pre filter?, the factory filter costs $60 where as the fuel master or Repco ones cost half that!

Like I said, I would rather have better filtration coming into the HP pump than what the factory filter can do. New filter is 4 Micron and the factory filter is allot higher than than that. Would be pointless running it as a pre filter with fuel that's been filtered to 4 Micron through a 15 odd micron filter don't you think? Males sense to run the higher number through the lower number otherwise you may as well not have a factory filter. Filters should still be changed at manufactures recommendation if not more frequently, regardless the cost.

Being a mechanic I get cheap filters anyway but that's beside the point I think

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read about it anywhere. How would you tell, besides putting water in the fuel?
    The factory filters do have a drain plug. So theoretically any water should be sitting at the bottom of that canister and will drain out first if you reguarly open the plug. That's just from what I can see..... I'm not sure how efficient it is and there's no viable bowl or water alarm on them

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris4R View Post
    Like I said, I would rather have better filtration coming into the HP pump than what the factory filter can do.
    What do you mean coming into the HP (High Pressure???) pump. I thought the fuel pump was in the fuel tank. I totally get the 4 micron after the 15 micron. Can you throw up some pictures of your implementation?
    Ravenna Blue Ultimate

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean coming into the HP (High Pressure???) pump. I thought the fuel pump was in the fuel tank. I totally get the 4 micron after the 15 micron. Can you throw up some pictures of your implementation?
    I'll get some pictures and upload them tomorrow. You've got a low pressure lift pump in the tank which gives you you're low pressure (50-80psi) supplied to the high pressure pump which is mounted on the motor and driven by the motor. That tanks pressures up to around 30000psi for injection. We just tee into the low pressure feed coming into that HP pump. I'll get some pics for you soon

Supporting Member
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get some pictures and upload them tomorrow. You've got a low pressure lift pump in the tank which gives you you're low pressure (50-80psi) supplied to the high pressure pump which is mounted on the motor and driven by the motor. That tanks pressures up to around 30000psi for injection. We just tee into the low pressure feed coming into that HP pump. I'll get some pics for you soon
    Thats awesome thanks.
    Ravenna Blue Ultimate

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ......... I'll get some pics for you soon......
    When you can...im interested.

Cheers!
    >45

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh I figured it's one reason for VW to get out of a warranty claim... and even so if rather avoid any issue and not have to prove it was the filter! I'd sooner remove the system and send it to them in standard form if it needed to go back for warranty on an engine or fuel fault but hopefully that won't be needed if a second filter can save that from happening!

I've searched all the threads... seems to be a big lack if knowledge on the situation and I have seen a few cases of contimanted fuel causing big damage on roks, and allot of CRD vehicles for that matter. All CRD vehicles have been suffering from these issues since they came about. The rok isn't any different imo.

I'm convinced on fitting a Ryco 4 Micron Post OE filter on mine any way. Would just love to get a confirmed answer on the minimum flow rate requirements and what micron the OE filter etc... night have to ring VW or Ryco direct I'm thinking
    Donít fit Ryco. They are rubbish. Look at a Donaldson or Fleetguard. We used to use Ryco cut in half as a display as to why you use a good quality filter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Primary fuel filter

Does anyone know how many Micron the oem fuel filter is on the Amarok?

Thinking about installing a secondary filter with visible water trap.

Has anyone fitted one while still within warranty? Still tossing up whether there's any point doing so as warranty should cover any damage to the fuel system, and it may void warranty with an aftermarket filter. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    I had one fitted as soon as I bought mine because of the dirty fuel in central Oz. I had Bosch fit it and they checked it for warranty. The main prob is the high fuel pressure in the Amarok so they fitted a fuel manager 100 series finding space was also a prob. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mrhoc; 20th January 2018 at 22:58.

Thread Information