Wolf 4x4Bayford Volkswagen Epping

User Tag List

Thread: Transfer box replaced

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transfer box replaced

I've just had my transfer box replaced due to excessive play (the box, not me). Done under warranty, but surprised that it would be necessary so early in the life of the car, an MY13 auto with only 50 500 on the clock.

I became aware of the problem due to a noisy clunk when changing between drive and reverse in the driveway, and a reluctance to change down when coasting into a stop until it engaged with a loud clunk. Seems all good now the box has been swapped over.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Forum Slave
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've oersonalky never heard of this ever, there was someone on here who'd taken a big chunk out of there's at one stage, @Sambo pretty sure it was an ACV member he might be able to elaborate. Weird though, other than the clunk any other signs? Lack of drive, nor operating front/rear wheels properly?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bt50li View Post
    I've oersonalky never heard of this ever, there was someone on here who'd taken a big chunk out of there's at one stage, @Sambo pretty sure it was an ACV member he might be able to elaborate. Weird though, other than the clunk any other signs? Lack of drive, nor operating front/rear wheels properly?
    It drove normally when the transmission was under load, either accelerating or slowing, its just in between where I had the problem, presumably because the excessive movement in the transfer box was delaying or confusing the response of the auto. Dealer said they'd not had one before like this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mine was doing the same and has now completely failed. Suspect the torsen centre diff has let go

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On to my third transfer box

Quote Originally Posted by cutta81 View Post
    Yeah mine was doing the same and has now completely failed. Suspect the torsen centre diff has let go
    Now done 80k in the Rok and have had to replace the transfer box AGAIN! Fortunately done under extended warranty from the dealer, which was a relief. I'm told this is extremely unusual, but is this the case? Anyone else having problems, and why?

Thread Information