PDA

View Full Version : Problems engaging/disengaging 4wd hi range.

de_Belin
24th July 2014, 20:57
Has anyone had problems with hi range 4WD not wanting to go back to 2WD?
When engaging/disengaging 4WD (hi range) its a bit temperamental. After driving in 4WD, I'll stop on level ground, gear in neutral, wheels straight and put it back into 2WD. Most of the time the light on the dash will flash the 2WD light for 10-15 seconds(approx) then switch back to 4WD light, stop flashing and remain in 4WD. I'll try again....same result. Drive forward 10m, try again same result. Drive forward, try again and it wil convert back straight away. Same can happen going into 4WD from 2WD. This has also happened with the diff lock on.
It will always go back to the position I'm wanting, but rarely first time round.
Anyone else experienced this??
I have to take my Rok to VW on Monday for the fuel line recall, so I'll be asking them about this then. Hopefully nothing serious.

Steevo
24th July 2014, 21:11
Mine did and for all I know would probably still do as you've described but I learned through this forum that I can change to 4W-HIGH range on the move and I've had no issues since.

de_Belin
24th July 2014, 21:17
Mine did and for all I know would probably still do as you've described but I learned through this forum that I can change to 4W-HIGH range on the move and I've had no issues since.
Cheers for that. I was thinking that you could change it while moving but wasn't 100% certain.

Steevo
24th July 2014, 21:22
Cheers for that. I was thinking that you could change it while moving but wasn't 100% certain.

No probs.

dave
24th July 2014, 22:43
Try reversing slowly in a straight line while engaging 2wd button. The prob is usually caused by "wind-up" between the front and rear diffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikhailt
24th July 2014, 23:11
My car likes to be switched to and from 4x4 high on the move, works straight away. When standing, takes a few goes at it. Of course 4x4 low is a different story, should not move for that.

orion
25th July 2014, 00:27
You can download the self-study .pdf on the Amarok Powertrain and Drive Concept from here:

http://www.vwamarokforum.net/threads/amarok-power-train-and-drive-concept.5933/

It'll illustrate why it's best to shift into 4x4 High on the move. Also states that the input to activate via the button is stored for 10 seconds before cancelling if it's not achieved.

Activation needs locking collars to engage on the main shaft in the transfer 'box. So it's luck of the draw if they line up when stationary.

Disengaging needs a load change:

"Static friction means that the locking collar remains in
its position when 4x4 mode is deactivated. As soon as
the tension has been dissipated by a load change or
change of steering direction during driving, the
selector fork is moved back to the 4x2 position
subsequently by the return spring"

fisho
25th July 2014, 00:53
Thanks orion.
I noticed the same thing whilst being taken for a test drive by the dealer the first time. He must of read up on it the second time around because we changed on the move and no probs, although there was no explanations given and I didn't ask being new to the experience.

So much invaluable knowledge on this forum. Cheers

ICEWOLF
25th July 2014, 07:09
The issues I've had were Voltage related. VCDS shows low voltage to transfer solenoid. New battery worked wonders. That solenoid must require quite some voltage.

Shufti
25th July 2014, 07:26
Thanks orion.
I noticed the same thing whilst being taken for a test drive by the dealer the first time. He must of read up on it the second time around because we changed on the move and no probs, although there was no explanations given and I didn't ask being new to the experience.

So much invaluable knowledge on this forum. Cheers

Did he engage high 4x4 on the road, I hope that he did not drive to far. :-/

Drew
25th July 2014, 08:28
Did he engage high 4x4 on the road, I hope that he did not drive to far. :-/

Would be more of a worry had he engaged the diff lock

Shufti
25th July 2014, 08:31
And then the poor suxer trying to clam warranty on the drive line or the diff saying that they had engaged them and sorry no warranty.

fisho
25th July 2014, 09:43
All of the above except diff lock and encouraged me to drive in low 4x4 as fast as I could on a busy secondary road. Although in each case only drove about 20-50 metres. Bit of a numbnuts in my opinion.
I was very much a newbie - nothing like the goldmine of information I am today :p:rolleyes::cool::D:confused::confused::confused:

goo
25th July 2014, 17:37
The issues I've had were Voltage related. VCDS shows low voltage to transfer solenoid. New battery worked wonders. That solenoid must require quite some voltage.

I get a low voltage code on either the difflock or transfer case can't remember but it has showed its face a couple of times. Probably have a small power source wire and crappy earth point.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk