PDA

View Full Version : Awning Questions and Info

indiewatt
3rd December 2012, 18:08
i'm starting this thread for discussions on awnings.

Currently i am researching what awning would suit me the best. would really appreciate any feedback.

chasing what sizes you recommend and brands. and photos would be nice:cool:

cheers

MattyDee
3rd December 2012, 18:21
I have a TJM 2.0x2.5m awning.

Pretty much same as the other brands except Foxwings etc.

The 2.0m fits pretty good on the cab. Only over hangs each end of it by a bit.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/tastebuds/VW%20Amarok/D850ABA3-750A-4BB1-B0CC-1762C16DBAF1-755-0000005F5D0748D2.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/tastebuds/VW%20Amarok/84D40163-1472-4DEC-9938-3DD0A2EE651A-755-0000005F56D3AD5B.jpg

VeeDub Amarok 2.0L BiTurbo

Ozzylom
3rd December 2012, 18:28
Hannibal do one that is self supporting ( used to drive slowly up the beach with it, open) it fits on their roof rack which I have not looked at yet for the Rock . Used it on my patrol for many years.

EBrok
3rd December 2012, 18:41
good one indie this will be my next purchase and will be following this thread closely. I understand you get what you pay for. I'm after ease of set up and reliability to ensure it gets the most use possible. Hopefully it will fit the new racks.

indiewatt
3rd December 2012, 18:46
hey matty, you gotta stop listing photos.. makes my ute look like a great wall pov pack!! haha man that looks insane, but hey what do you think of the tjm? easy to set up? is that much coverage in your opinion? enough for a swag and much more?

[hr]
hey mr home loans, the hannibal has me frothing! tell me more, where can you buy these? also can some1 tell me, any other companies make a self supporting unit?

MattyDee
3rd December 2012, 18:59
The TJM just the same as all the other imports IMO.. Coverage is enough for a swag and a camp chair :P

VeeDub Amarok 2.0L BiTurbo

Calibrated
3rd December 2012, 19:00
I have a Polaris 2.5x2.5. The quality is second to none. Awesome piece of kit. Pricey though.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/542126_355753677843101_793705008_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217882_355753704509765_531651127_n.jpg

Swivel mounts that can handle horizontal AND vertical movement!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/574994_349817045103431_951999964_n.jpg

grindo69
3rd December 2012, 19:03
I've got Rhino Rack Foxwing on r/h/s & sun seeker on l/h/s both great awnings with heaps of coverage.No issues with with both mounted to cross bars for over 12 months,although now have them both mounted to pioneer platform no need for cross bars .Just bought the tagalong tent that Zips onto the awning yet to be used though http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/utusegu3.jpg

Sambo
3rd December 2012, 21:42
I have the Howling Moon, in a Aluminium Hinged box. Only one I have seen that is not in a "zipper bag".

Not saying it is any better, but it is pretty good. Very quiet on the road. The roof rack makes no more or less noise with the awning on or off.

snapsimo
4th December 2012, 20:46
Just about to purchase an awning as well. Been looking for awhile. We saw 'black widow' at Bendigo leisurefest. 14oz canvas and they do a full room with zipped in floor. $$$ but looks the beez kneez.

I think Polaris and Supa-RV stand easy deluxe are both on par but haven't seen them in the flesh.
Stand easy have pegged down feet instead of ropes. Seems a better idea instead of tripping over in the night. Also has a thicker bar on the outer edge but not sure if that makes a difference? Maybe more rigid when traveling?

Will be purchasing in the next few weeks I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

indiewatt
7th December 2012, 20:00
Can anyone tell me who makes self supporting awnings? Other than Hannibal. Also who has experience with them, pros and cons.
Cheers boys n girls

snapsimo
7th December 2012, 20:08
Stupa-RV awning doesn't have ropes but pegs the poles to the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MegaWatty
26th January 2013, 02:44
I'm interested to hear more from people that have awnings on a Rok that doesn't have a canopy and therefore a smaller cage to attach it to.

Obi'swagon
26th January 2013, 05:11
I have a 1.4m (correction awning is 1.6m) for that exact reason. The plan is to eventually fit a canopy and position this over the canopy rear door and buy a longer one along the cab. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/26/mu8u5ese.jpg

So far it has been fine for trips by myself. Just about to head off for a short camping trip with the wife so will give you some more feedback when we get back.
Awning fitted to the Rhino Pioneer platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snapsimo
26th January 2013, 11:45
We don't have a canopy as yet (getting fitted next month) and have a 2.4 x 2.0 black widow on ours. Went all the way up to qld from Vic and it seem ok. What do you want to know? I'll send a picture soon.

Vern
26th January 2013, 12:11
I have a Supapeg, same as a fox wing, but canvas, made in qld(?), sitting in the shed, not sure if it will go on the amarok or my lse rangie project

MegaWatty
28th January 2013, 01:15
Is that a rooftop tent sitting on top as well Obi? If it is, tell me more please. ;)

Obi'swagon
28th January 2013, 19:12
@MegaWatty, yep that is a RTT. I also have a shovel holder by Rhino as well. Tweaked the brackets a bit so the shovel clears the awning.
Probably should have gone for the 2m after this weekend, man it was hot a Fry's Flat during the day. I will make up an extension to have the option as a longer shade pattern or setup as a front wall.
Let me know if you want more info on the RTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FHBS
23rd February 2013, 10:33
Anyone have experience with the Hannibal awnings?

dave
23rd February 2013, 18:47
Anyone have experience with the Hannibal awnings?

I have just purchased a 2.4x2.0 one plus a 1.6 roof top. They haven't arrived yet and they also ain't cheep. Me hopes they're worth it as they appear to be top quality.

They're made in South Africa using Oz canvas, so Ash you might bring a couple back with you.

FHBS
24th February 2013, 09:46
Brilliant Dave, just curious.. What rack are you mounting to? They will have a huge amount of uplift.

FHBS
24th February 2013, 10:10
And where did you buy from Dave? Direct off website?

dave
24th February 2013, 15:44
Brilliant Dave, just curious.. What rack are you mounting to? They will have a huge amount of uplift.

I have an alloy tray so they will be mounted on my 80mm ally headboard and ladder rack. The gal steel frame between the headboard and ladder rack will be custom made as I already have the steel but I can't fully design or construct it until they arrive to check out the mounts.

Yep, you would be right about needing sturdy mounts for the awning; it was running through my brain before I read your post.

dave
24th February 2013, 15:52
And where did you buy from Dave? Direct off website?

Spock directly to Hannibal owner (Peter) and he gave me their "show price" which is still xeee but I don't mind paying for quality. Pm me if you want his mobile as he is/was at the Adelaide camping show (or what ever it's called) at the moment.

FHBS
24th February 2013, 18:16
Thanks for that Dave,

I also have a steel tray.. Well custom aluminum.. And I was thinking of mounting across ladder racks. But it needs to sit higher than the rack so it does not impair on door openings. Also what sort of time do you have to wait between payment and delivery?

FHBS
28th February 2013, 08:47
Yesterday I orderd my awning. To say I'm excited, well that's an understatement. A simple explanation to how I function, if it's too much effort I won't do it.. Haha slacker I know.

So as far as an awning goes, the Hannibal awning from the word go was what I wanted. Easy fold out and no legs, simple and quick like me in bed.

After some deep internet searching across forums I found the awning below.

Will be delivered next Thursday!

http://www.outbackgroup.co.za/component/virtuemart/universal/awnings/ostrich-wing-awning-detail.html?Itemid=0

If you are interested, I can attach details of local supplier.. Only one in Australia, located in Perth.

Price of awning is $1495.

FHBS
28th February 2013, 08:58

This is the awning, as shown it has one pole. This is only necessary once winds get too strong.

Steevo
23rd June 2013, 18:49
Do you have to have roof racks for an awning, or can you attach them directly to the roof rack mounts?

Sambo
23rd June 2013, 21:37
Don't know for sure on this one. I would imagine that the lateral load would be too great for a single point roof mount? But I had a 2500mm awning mounted on cross bars on a Pajero. It was on the cheaper "Aero" bar from Rhino from memory. Worked very well and was pretty cheap to set up. Can't see why that would not work on a Rok. I just bought some heavy-duty steel shelf brackets from Bunnings and mounted to cross bars and awning. Still git the brackets, you can have them if it helps.

Same awning now mounted on ARB trade Rack on Amarok.

MY11 Candy White Highline. VIC

Steevo
24th June 2013, 07:15
Thanks for the offer Sambo. At this stage I'm just looking at the differences in what I'd need to do for an awning off of the Rok over the swag I'm looking to buy versus just using a good quality tarp, poles and lines which I already have.

Initially it's for a weekend ride in the Watigans on 10/11 August but would be used whenever after that.

Mikhailt
27th June 2013, 18:40
Guys, anybody has Tigerz or ORU awning? Thinking which one of those two to get.

Hawka
27th June 2013, 19:16
Guys, anybody has Tigerz or ORU awning? Thinking which one of those two to get.

I have a tigerz awning. One of the plastic mounts broke second time it was used. They replaced it free of charge with 2 new alloy ones. I think the new ones now come with these. The qualitys not that crash hot.

Mikhailt
27th June 2013, 19:48
I have a tigerz awning. One of the plastic mounts broke second time it was used. They replaced it free of charge with 2 new alloy ones. I think the new ones now come with these. The qualitys not that crash hot.

Thanks for that, Hawka. Seems like Tigerz is out of contention....

snapsimo
1st July 2013, 09:40
I've got a black widow. Great bit of kit, thick proper canvas but cost $$$$ 500'ish.

Get what you pay for. We were at the Bendigo leisurefest when it was 38deg in the shade and from all the ones we stood under, the black widow was the best at keeping the heat out.

Mikhailt
1st July 2013, 12:11
Bought TJM 2mx2m on Saturday. Seems to be reasonable quality...

Walrus48
1st July 2013, 13:10
Has any one had experience with the Rhino Batwing awning? Also is it practical to have an awning without having a canopy as the roof bars are not placed over a long profile? that's why I was thinking of a batwing design that would also cover the tub.

UnstableImage
4th July 2013, 21:52
Can anyone take a photo of how an awning mounts to the racks? Do you need a certain style of racks?

snapsimo
5th July 2013, 04:19
Has any one had experience with the Rhino Batwing awning? Also is it practical to have an awning without having a canopy as the roof bars are not placed over a long profile? that's why I was thinking of a batwing design that would also cover the tub.

We had our awning on before we had our canopy. Used it like that on a trip north over Xmas. Seemed ok to me.

kezrok
5th July 2013, 06:15

I actually use the rhino fittings for this awning just in case i update my oztrail one. Considerations with it for me at the moment are additional weight with my rhino platform, we mainly use ours for quick shade when outback for lunch breaks etc but not so much with campsites as we have front an side awning on oztent but will be looking at a small tarp to attach to rear of roof platform to side awning for tub, not reversible if i need to.

Brydo
5th July 2013, 09:43
I actually use the rhino fittings for this awning just in case i update my oztrail one. Considerations with it for me at the moment are additional weight with my rhino platform, we mainly use ours for quick shade when outback for lunch breaks etc but not so much with campsites as we have front an side awning on oztent but will be looking at a small tarp to attach to rear of roof platform to side awning for tub, not reversible if i need to.

Hi Walrus,

I was asking the same question to Ross at Polaris awnings, he was very helpful and I'm sure would answer any of your queries.

Given that some canopies (ie ARB) require internal bracing fitted if they fit roof racks, it bumps up the cost. Therefore I wanted to fit bars on the roof rather than the canopy. The plan then would be that an awning could be mounted to the roof racks, and the canopy would have nothing on it. I am trying to find out how long I can have the awning, as like you said there may be restrictions due to roof racks short profile. However would this profile be any shorter than canopy racks or canopy cargo tray? Utes are restricted in this sense compared to patrol / cruiser where you have the whole length of the roof to attach to.

I think if you have a canopy with racks, you can have a longer awning as it be canopy mounted and travel along the length of the vehicle roof and and still look good. I was looking at members rides and I think Earwig has a good looking rig like this. Different from a ute without canopy as you do not want awning overhanging tub too much.

However you have to fix it to one or the other, as the canopy / tub flex independantly of the vehicle and you are liable to break mounts and / or awning if you attach an awning to both canopy racks and roof racks (ARB told me this).

Unstable Image with regards to how the awning fits to racks, again on Polaris website they have a fitting guide with some diagrams.

By looking at previous posts on this thread, people have been attaching awnings of up to 2.5m without dramas...

Brydon

Walrus48
5th July 2013, 16:02
Hi Walrus,

I was asking the same question to Ross at Polaris awnings, he was very helpful and I'm sure would answer any of your queries.

Given that some canopies (ie ARB) require internal bracing fitted if they fit roof racks, it bumps up the cost. Therefore I wanted to fit bars on the roof rather than the canopy. The plan then would be that an awning could be mounted to the roof racks, and the canopy would have nothing on it. I am trying to find out how long I can have the awning, as like you said there may be restrictions due to roof racks short profile. However would this profile be any shorter than canopy racks or canopy cargo tray? Utes are restricted in this sense compared to patrol / cruiser where you have the whole length of the roof to attach to.

I think if you have a canopy with racks, you can have a longer awning as it be canopy mounted and travel along the length of the vehicle roof and and still look good. I was looking at members rides and I think Earwig has a good looking rig like this. Different from a ute without canopy as you do not want awning overhanging tub too much.

However you have to fix it to one or the other, as the canopy / tub flex independantly of the vehicle and you are liable to break mounts and / or awning if you attach an awning to both canopy racks and roof racks (ARB told me this).

Unstable Image with regards to how the awning fits to racks, again on Polaris website they have a fitting guide with some diagrams.

By looking at previous posts on this thread, people have been attaching awnings of up to 2.5m without dramas...

Brydon

Brydon

I have Thule aero bars that are on the cab with about 760mm centre to centre and looking at my options. And my apologies it is a Foxwing awning!!!, I was thinking out aloud if it could be fitted to the existing bars an swing out to cover the hard lid as well, giving greater shelter. So thanks for your response every little bit of information helps towards the final decision at the moment I dont want to go down the canopy route.

Brydo
5th July 2013, 16:18
Walrus no worries putting it out there for my benefit as well to see what the other members think!

UnstableImage
17th August 2013, 18:22
I'm heading over to Rocky for a weekend away with the girl and we're hoping to head to some of the 4x4 shops in the 'big smoke' to have a look at roof top tents. I'm thinking that we'll buy a awning while we're there as we're going to spend some time driving the beach and heading up to Byfield if we have chance.

My question, what tools would I need to take with me to fit the awning in the car park :D

Haven't decided on brand, but I'm looking at ARB or TJM since they're both in Rocky.

MattyDee
17th August 2013, 18:38
I'm heading over to Rocky for a weekend away with the girl and we're hoping to head to some of the 4x4 shops in the 'big smoke' to have a look at roof top tents. I'm thinking that we'll buy a awning while we're there as we're going to spend some time driving the beach and heading up to Byfield if we have chance.

My question, what tools would I need to take with me to fit the awning in the car park :D

Haven't decided on brand, but I'm looking at ARB or TJM since they're both in Rocky.

You will need roof racks, and mounting brackets, and few ring spanners

Candy White VeeDub. | ACV

UnstableImage
17th August 2013, 19:26
You will need roof racks, and mounting brackets, and few ring spanners

Cheers Matty

I've stuck racks on last weekend, would the awning not come with mounting brackets?

MattyDee
17th August 2013, 20:26
Cheers Matty

I've stuck racks on last weekend, would the awning not come with mounting brackets?

Some do some don't. Just check who ever you buy it with. I got a universal one from Rhino.

Candy White VeeDub. | ACV

Sambo
17th August 2013, 21:17
Depends on the racks as well. Rhino have some good universal mounts. I used some standard HT bolts from Bunnings and some HD shelf brackets to mount a 2500mm awning to Rhino Sports bars. Take a cordless drill and some bits with you as well.

MY11 Candy White Manual Highline. VIC 75,000klm

UnstableImage
17th August 2013, 22:19
Cheers guys! I'll make some calls during the week and prepare accordingly.

It's my girls 30th so would be nice to spend some time sitting on the beach! First drive on sand as well :D

orion
3rd September 2013, 04:09
I've got a Bushranger Open Sky 2.5m awning mounted on Thule WingBars.

http://http://imageshack.us/a/img819/5996/yroe.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/yroe.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

In the instructions they advised to have three fixing points and a maximum unsecured length at each end of 700mm maximum. That almost exactly matches the spacing available on the longitudinal bars atop my Aeroklas canopy for two mounts, (Thule Smartrack clamp-on fittings), plus the rearmost mounting points on the cab with high profile Rapid System foot mounts so that they all line up. I simply made up three brackets from some stainless flat and secured them to the rail using the Thule T-Track adaptors that slide into the slots in the WingBars and tighten down with thumbwheels.

To get around the problem of difference in flex between the cab and tub/canopy I made up an articulating mount for the front bracket using some M6 rose joints, and it seems to be working well.

http://http://imageshack.us/a/img443/8817/v2n2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/v2n2.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://http://imageshack.us/a/img16/247/k88r.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/k88r.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The awning takes about 30 seconds to remove from the WingBars once the locks are undone and I've run at over 140 kph on the motorway with it all fitted and found the additional noise generated to be minimal.

Steevo
21st September 2013, 16:35
Finally got my own awning sorted today.

I did consider a few suppliers via the forum but in the end for convenience I went local to place called Roof rack city Castle Hill.

Went the Rhino aero racks, sunseeker II which for the uninitiated is 2500 long and extends 2000 and the sunseeker extension which is the same dimensions again.

Took me a little over 2 hours to install everything, quite impressed with it all. Looking forward to camping on the long weekend.

dalmacija91
21st September 2013, 16:44
Finally got my own awning sorted today.

I did consider a few suppliers via the forum but in the end for convenience I went local to place called Roof rack city Castle Hill.

Went the Rhino aero racks, sunseeker II which for the initiated is 2500 long and extends 2000 and the sunseeker extension which is the same dimensions again.

Took me a little over 2 hours to everything, quite impressed with it all. Looking forward to camping on the long weekend.

Sounds good mate! Hopefully you get some good use out of it.
Feel free to post some pics. I know your probably all over it ;)

Dan - ACV
MY12 Ultimate Natural Grey

UnstableImage
21st September 2013, 21:03
Hey Steevo, do you think the sunseek was worth the extra coin over the generic brands?

grindo69
21st September 2013, 21:16
One thing worth mentioning about the Rhino Rack awnings not sure about other brands,every separate part of the awnings is available as a spare part. Handy when you break things like I did !

Steevo
21st September 2013, 21:34
I honestly didn't look at any others, but I did ask a number retailers which ones they recommended and which ones they sell the most of in that type/style. Someone on here didn't rate the tigerz11 one so that was instantly off of my list.

The fact that I needed roof racks made it more of a spend, the racks were $363, awning $379, extension $159. I wanted the extension so I can fit my cot tent, camping gear and trail bike under it (on it's first use) but then we can use it for anything after that. It provides a good amount of coverage and the extension with the ability to set it up on angles allows for wind, rain run off and low angle sun protection is a useful addition in my opinion.

I'll post photos once I get set up on the long weekend.

Steevo
22nd September 2013, 07:54
Geez, I took the rok for a spin along one of the main roads nearby my place.. the drumming or buffeting noise from the roof racks is shocking. It starts about 45km/h gets progressively louder up to 85 then it seems to magically disappear.

Knowing this is an awning thread I'll post elsewhere to see if people know a remedy, but I'll add that the source of the noise is definitely not the awning as I took it off to rule it out.

UnstableImage
22nd September 2013, 11:58
Cheers Steevo.

Kozican
5th October 2013, 07:18
Hi All,
Just to add a couple more questions to the list.
1) Preference over passenger side or driver side mounting and why?
2) ORION had a very neat way of using the canopy and the cab to mount his awning, has anyone hard mounted it? or have another way of flexible mounting it?
3) Ironman awnings? Any feedback?
Cheers
Kozican.

Sambo
5th October 2013, 08:12
I had the awning on the drivers side on my Pajero, is. Ow on the passenger side on my Rok.

Can't tell you why really. Think it was because the shovel and Hi-Lift jack holder works best on the right, so the awning went to the LHS

Sambo - Amarok Club of Victoria
MY11 Candy White, Manual Highline. 80,000k
Eastern suburbs, VIC.

slandells
5th October 2013, 11:28
Passenger side for me too. Not sure why, just works better that way when setting up camp I guess...

Had an ironman for about 5 years now, still works a treat. Wouldn't go any cheaper than it (tigerz, etc). Just wish they made them 2.5x 2 when I bought mine. Only came in 2x 2.5, which means it doesn't cover as much of the side of the truck, and requires more space to hang off the side. Considering getting a new one that is longer on the side of the truck and hangs out less, makes more sense...

dave
5th October 2013, 13:01
Mine is on the right side because my alloy box with fridge/food/prep area is that side (on a tray back), plus my roof top opens out to the left side.

Mikhailt
5th October 2013, 20:38
Mine is TJM, very happy with it. Mounted on the passenger's side because everybody else I know have it there....:D

RokMeister
7th October 2013, 09:59
I went for the Rhino 2.5 mtr awning and awning extension. Took about 30 minutes to fit. Both rack and awning are really solid. The Rhino system is great IMO. Just had it up the beach and it was great, sets up in minutes. The extension is well worth the extra $150.00 or so bucks :D

GE1
7th October 2013, 17:08
Looks good RokMeister. What have you got it attached to?

GE1
7th October 2013, 17:29
Just read Rockmeister's Ride and found my answer. Impressed with set up. Are you able to get sides to attach to that awning?

RokMeister
7th October 2013, 18:46
Just read Rockmeister's Ride and found my answer. Impressed with set up. Are you able to get sides to attach to that awning?

Hi Grant, yep they do, see here http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Sunseeker-Awning_57.aspx

Check out the tagalong tent! Only problem is its fixed to the car, no good if you want to travel each day but probably perfect for an overnighter.

GE1
7th October 2013, 19:30
Thanks RockMeister, reckon wifey would like the tagalong. We usually camp in the one spot for a few days so would be ideal with the awning plus our black wolf turbo tent we currently use. Could throw kids into tagalong, and a side attached would help protect us from the crappy weather we get a times down here in Tassie.

Drew
7th October 2013, 21:40
Hi Grant, yep they do, see here http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Sunseeker-Awning_57.aspx

Check out the tagalong tent! Only problem is its fixed to the car, no good if you want to travel each day but probably perfect for an overnighter.

just checked out the link - love the fact that the awning is attached to a Rok!

RokMeister
8th October 2013, 06:32
just checked out the link - love the fact that the awning is attached to a Rok!

Yeah, they know the awning is only looks as good as the car it is hanging off of! ;)

Steevo
9th October 2013, 12:20
Used my awning over my extended long weekend with my cot tent and most of my camping gear underneath. It went well.

Rokcam
10th October 2013, 18:25
Nice setup Steve!

What do you think of the Jet Bunker ? I have one on the way for our ACV Mallee trip to go under a 2.5m * 2.5m Tigerz awning, piggy bank did not allow for better awning at this stage.

Steevo
10th October 2013, 20:09
Thanks Cam,

I love the Bunker, comfy & compact.

Rokcam
10th October 2013, 20:24
Thanks Cam,

I love the Bunker, comfy & compact.

Can't wait to try mine out

Steevo
10th October 2013, 20:41
Can't wait to try mine out

Grab one of those ufo type LED light deals and attach it with the velcro strap up inside the head end, very handy.

Rokcam
10th October 2013, 20:51
Grab one of those ufo type LED light deals and attach it with the velcro strap up inside the head end, very handy.

Another Ebay hit and more toys, might have to jump on the piggy bank to get the last few 50c coins out that are not put aside for the rims and tyres.

Hamaloch
17th October 2013, 07:46
Good old ebay find - 2.5m x 3.0 metres... plenty of room underneath - and quality is just as good as anything else I've seen. Came with a flyscreen room we haven't tried out yet.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--UktdeB0nzo/UkDdPO7tOsI/AAAAAAAACrk/SkkyctTvO5I/s640/DSC_8406.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-EFD6jGvEgx4/Ud_jXcPdC4I/AAAAAAAAC2M/d7Cd1hT_ALQ/s640/DSC_8007.JPG

Has literally changed the way we camp - now have the kitchen in the ute, not in the camper!

It is all mounted to the box on the back - with four mounts - it is not going to come off in a hurry!
Cheers
Phil

bauerco
17th October 2013, 09:00
Hey Phil,

Who was the eBay seller?
If you don't mind me asking.
Looking at getting the same size.

Mark

Amarok Club of Victoria
MY12 Reflex Silver Highline
94 F250 Supacab 7.5lt 6" suspension lift 3" body lift

Hamaloch
23rd October 2013, 19:48
Gee... Will see if I can find that. Brand was G Camp or something similar.

Looking through my history, I think it was ibasetradingptyltd (16409). Was very happy with the product. Bought a second pair of brackets from them too (my awning is NOT going to fall off!)

Cheers. Phil

Steevo
23rd October 2013, 19:51
This bloke.?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ibasetradingptyltd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Hamaloch
23rd October 2013, 20:14
Looks about right. Same brand awnings, and he is in my history...

We bought the 2.5x3.0 metre with screen room.

No problems with it at all.

Cheers. Phil

GE1
12th November 2013, 18:32
Has anyone fitted a foxwing awning. I am thinking of getting one to fit on Rhino bars, I like how it goes around the back as well so when we are camping down here in Tassie you can walk around to the back of the Rok to fridge etc and stay dry. It seems that they fit them on just two roof racks. I was thinking being 2.5 metres I would need to put at a rack on the canopy as well as 2 on the roof of Rok. The kit looks as if it only comes with fittings for 2 racks. Any ideas/experiences from those that have one would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Grant

Vern
12th November 2013, 21:28
Grant, have a look at the Supa Peg awnings, much better quality than fox wing, real Aussie made canvas as well. I have the 2.1m supawing (would get a bigger one next time, can't complain as it was free:-) )
My parents used to fit both the fox wing or the supa peg to there caravans they used to build, they agreed the supra peg was a better item.

GE1
13th November 2013, 18:31
Thanks Vern will have a look at them. Can anyone tell me about how far racks and awning sit above the roof from roof to top of awning. I am concerned it may not fit in garage with racks and awning.

Cheers,
Grant

snapsimo
18th November 2013, 10:23
You could turn the brackets around/upside down so the awning sits lower than the roof bars.

ACV Eastside Massive!!!

Bono
11th December 2013, 21:28
Just thought I would share a couple of pics of my Rhino Awning, fishing rod holders and Rhino Racks. Auto One have 20% off the entire Rhino range till the 24th Dec if anyone is interested.

Joe

idc1970
7th February 2014, 20:36
Here's mine. It's a 2.0x2.5m Roo Systems canvas awning I picked up at Tigerz11 shop in Newcastle before Christmas. I think from memory it was $169. 9234

brookes2622
16th December 2014, 21:52
I just bought the Supa Wing from Supa Peg and am pretty happy with it. I bought the 2.5m but am thinking that 3m would be better given I have a canopy and have fitted it to a the bar there.

Anyone got the 3m? How is it?

fisho
17th December 2014, 12:33
How much are they brookes2622 - if you don't mind me asking.

fossROK
17th December 2014, 14:00
fisho I bought mine 3 weeks ago, Supa-wing 2.5m for $990 and got sand pegs and led kit thrown in. I reckon it's pretty good, and brookes2622, 3m would be nice but I was worried about it being too big.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/16/b4ddda95b49d8356dad09c3657cf3474.jpg

Matt

Bok_Befok
17th December 2014, 14:30
I've got the Wolf 4x4 Namib 2.5 x 2.5 awning on mine, comes with the LED Strip, really good value for money, $209.00 had it out a few times now, stands pretty well, personally have no complaints.

http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/general-and-camping/tents-awnings/awnings/wolf-4x4-namib-awning/
Calibrated has the Wolf 4x4 Albatross 270 Awning, similar to the Supa-Wing that's above for $499.00 - also with the LED Strip Lighting. 2.5m x 2.1m

http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/tents-awnings/awnings/wolf-4x4-albatross-270-awning/

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/Trigib/IMG_7877__90015141385932612801280_zps43700fd9.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Trigib/media/IMG_7877__90015141385932612801280_zps43700fd9.jpg. html)
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/Trigib/IMG_7878__95484141385936912801280_zps275d23c3.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Trigib/media/IMG_7878__95484141385936912801280_zps275d23c3.jpg. html)
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/Trigib/IMG_7876__45974141385936612801280_zpsd052bce4.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Trigib/media/IMG_7876__45974141385936612801280_zpsd052bce4.jpg. html)
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/Trigib/IMG_7885__76173141385934512801280_zpsa7338ad2.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Trigib/media/IMG_7885__76173141385934512801280_zpsa7338ad2.jpg. html)
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/Trigib/IMG_7879__88487141385933712801280_zps18b45d77.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Trigib/media/IMG_7879__88487141385933712801280_zps18b45d77.jpg. html)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/Trigib/IMG_7870__43021141385776412801280_zpsc214ae6b.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Trigib/media/IMG_7870__43021141385776412801280_zpsc214ae6b.jpg. html)
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/Trigib/IMG_7873__60369141385773812801280_zps986d2071.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Trigib/media/IMG_7873__60369141385773812801280_zps986d2071.jpg. html)

bt50li
17th December 2014, 15:30
Hey Bok
Do they come in a left and right mount? Do they allow for zip on sides like the Foxwing?
Cheers Oli

fisho
17th December 2014, 15:41
I like the idea of covering the tailgate as well, can be handy if you're after a beer or 20:p

fisho
17th December 2014, 15:45
Thanks fossROK. That looks great. Does yours completely cover the tailgate?

fisho
17th December 2014, 15:48
I'm doing a volkarok haha
Are sides available for these?
If so how are they attached?
Am thinking about quick stopovers. Throw out the awning with sides - have a kip and then back on the road.

fossROK
17th December 2014, 17:14
Lol volkarok, I mean fisho. ;) It covers most of the tub and tailgate plus another ~1m. With this setup I have a gap behind the roof about 400mm, which I can eliminate by sliding the wing forward, but lose the overhang out the back. There are Velcro linings on the inside of the outer edges to attach all manner of walls or mozzy nets etc

Matt

Tornado_ALIVE
17th December 2014, 18:52
Love my Foxwing

http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13712&d=1418806262

http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13713&d=1418806279

http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13714&d=1418806293

fisho
17th December 2014, 23:41
Thanks Matt (@fossrok). Exactly what I needed to know.
Stephen (@tornado_alive) yours looks great also, how much was yours please.

Guys I've not done any research on these so some of these questions may sound a bit stupid and I appreciate answers may have already been given. I beg your indulgence.

brookes2622
18th December 2014, 06:02
How much are they @brookes2622 (http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/member.php?u=567) - if you don't mind me asking.

Mine was $1047 I think using the Facebook discount. Also got the LEDs and the sand pegs.
fossROK where have you put the LED's?

fossROK
18th December 2014, 07:32
brookes2622 l haven't yet. I was gunna ask you the same. If the weather holds I want to erect the wing and the new tent to work out what's what.
Matt

Redback
18th December 2014, 08:02
Another vote for Supapeg, I have the Rapidwing awning on the D4, will soon be setting the Amarok up to be able to use it on it also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/bazzar/D4%20and%20Amarok/IMG_0919_zps0db7e73d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bazzar/media/D4%20and%20Amarok/IMG_0919_zps0db7e73d.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/bazzar/D4%20and%20Amarok/IMG_0912_zps9419eddc.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bazzar/media/D4%20and%20Amarok/IMG_0912_zps9419eddc.jpg.html)

Baz.

fisho
18th December 2014, 09:43
Thanks guys,
Something to ponder over the festive season.

Steevo
18th December 2014, 10:35
You'd be way more festive under an awning. :D

fossROK
18th December 2014, 19:39
Very true Steevo, and you can also see reindeers if you get it pre-Christmas, cause reindeers looove awnings ;)

Matt

Tornado_ALIVE
18th December 2014, 19:43
Stephen (@tornado_alive) yours looks great also, how much was yours please.

Hi Fisho,

$799

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/shade/awnings/foxwing-awning_31100

snapsimo
18th December 2014, 21:30
I like my black widow. Good and thick. Like me [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

ACV Eastside Massive!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fisho
19th December 2014, 10:41
Hi Fisho,

$799

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/shade/awnings/foxwing-awning_31100

Thanks Stephen.
Just had a good look at that one - love it and the accessories.